Material Certification PDF/JPG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Material Certification PDF/JPG

I'm familiar with the IFS and can give you some ideas and direction, but I thought I would let javajuniourexpert give it a try first. I won't hold my breath though. Chris

2ndTim wrote: > I work for a metal manufacturer and we routinely receive those mill > certs from our vendors. I've been asked if I can scan these mill > certs and tie these PC type files to some data on the iSeries host. > > I've been doing some reading on the IFS, but I am very green with it. > > My idea would be either by PO or item number which is stored on an > iSeries box, and be able to put a link to the IFS for the pertinent > Mill Cert, which would be either PDF or JPG. Ideally, I would like to > print that file from the iSeries box. Tim, I haven't worked with anything like this, but I've read about some similar solutions. I believe what some have done is to store the file's location in an approprate field and this then would allow you to remotely execute a program to process the file. I guess for either file type, you could feed the file location to your browser which would allow the user to either view or print. Client (iSeries) Access allows the clicking of URL's which would be a solution as well. Bill

Comment

Chris ... I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Comment

Bill ... Do you have any ideas how to remotely process this file, short of copying and pasting a URL or network address?

Comment

2ndTim wrote: > Bill ... Do you have any ideas how to remotely process this file, > short of copying and pasting a URL or network address? Tim, I haven't done this type of work before, so I'll be of little help. Maybe the best thing for you to do is to work the Search facility on MCPressOnline.com . I don't believe you are treading new ground here, so I think you should have little problem finding some articles explaining what you need to do. I do know that the iSeries Access emulation program has the ability to process anURL that's displayed on the screen So, you should be able to display somehting like : \as400nameqibmjpgfolder hisitem.jpg and the user could click this and the PC will open that file. Bill

Comment

> I believe what some have done is to store the file's location > in an approprate field and this then would allow you to > remotely execute a program to process the file Right-on! To 'process' this file on the iSeries, you have to have some iSeries application that understands .pdf files. I think that the Infoprint Server 5722-IP1 can print them. You may also look into a Java application to read the file and print it. That's quite a bit out of my league, but I have been able to run Java programs on OS400. Another choice may be to connect a PC, and use the iSeries Connect/Client Access Remote Command functionality. If you have a PC program you can run from the command line, you can invoke it through Remote Command. An Linux equivalent is rexec (which WinNT+ might support, too.) Another option is to host a intranet web site (either on iSeries or elsewhere) that gets updated more or less dynamically with new HTML pages having links to the IFS. In this scenario, the IFS is simply acting like a Big hard drive, and you aren't really going to try to read/write/process it from RPG (or any HLL program in OS400.) The files will get plopped there by some external process (not OS400) - (mapped drive? FTP?) and read by a different external process. Hope this continues the discussion appropriately! --buck

Comment

I work for a metal manufacturer and we routinely receive those mill certs from our vendors. I've been asked if I can scan these mill certs and tie these PC type files to some data on the iSeries host. I've been doing some reading on the IFS, but I am very green with it. My idea would be either by PO or item number which is stored on an iSeries box, and be able to put a link to the IFS for the pertinent Mill Cert, which would be either PDF or JPG. Ideally, I would like to print that file from the iSeries box. I've been approached with an ODBC/Access option, but I'm wondering if there's a better way. I'm open to suggestions and opinions. Thanx!

Comment

Sorry, it took me a while to type this up. I presume these documents will be “read only” for end users. That makes things easier, relatively. You need to store the documents on the IFS, make the IFS documents securely accessible to users and provide a way for the users to load them. This is my suggestion, as a starting point. There may be a better way, depending on your environment. Create a folder under the IFS root ‘/’ to hold documents using the green screen command MD (make directory). MD /Docs then MD /Docs/MillCert . Set up Netserver on your AS/400 with Ops Nav. (see redbook). This makes any explicitly shared folders on the IFS visible in Windows network neighborhood. The Netserver naming convention is ‘Q’ + the AS400 system name (RTVNETA) like QMY400. You start Netserver with STRTCPSVR *NETSVR or I think there’s an option somewhere to start it automatically when TCP/IP starts, probably in Ops Nav (Hey, I’m a programmer, not a system operator). Create a shared folder for /Docs/MillCert under Ops Nav (read the redbook). Only share the folders you want Windows users to see. In Ops Nav, you must decide the security for the share. A “Read/Write” share is misleading because it really means “Use normal OS/400 security”, which I recommend. Give *PUBLIC *X authority to folders ‘/’ and ‘/Docs’ and ‘/MillCert’ so users then can pass through them. Or give the user’s group *X authority and make *PUBLIC *EXCLUDE (better). In any event, you need to set up authority with CHGAUT or WRKAUT. The IFS does not support adopted authority. Have someone manually put documents in the new folder. On your Windows PC, do a Start / Search / Files / Computer / type QMY400 and search. Double click QMY400 when it appears (if not, start Netserver) and you should see the shared folder in there. Just drag documents to the new folder (I think you need *W (write) authority to the folder to add documents to folder, or *ALLOBJ). Whenever you create a new file in a folder, it inherits the authorities of the folder, except you become the *OWNER. From a green screen, you can drill down to the IFS folders with WRKLNK ‘/’. Give *R (read) authority with CHGAUT to the IFS documents in /Docs/MillCert, so users have just enough authority to open them. For programming, softcode the path ‘/Docs/MillCert’ in a PF and key it by a string like “MILLCERT01”. Then you can use this file for other projects. This way, you can store just the PC document name in your file and get the path from another file. Get the Netserver name with RTVNETA and put a Q in front of it. Make it a standard that the network user ID and AS400 user ids and passwords must match, if possible. Read that again, it’s a biggie. This allows for automatic login to Netserver. Otherwise, some older Windows O/S don’t allow you to change the user ID in the login window that pops-up. And it’s very confusing to users because the login window says “Enter NETWORK user ID and password” and *really* means enter the AS/400 User ID and password. You can also define a “guest” user in Netserver but you’ll have to decide if you really want anonymous users to access these documents. If a user’s access to Netserver is disabled (too many bad passwords), just do a CHGUSRPRF USRPRF(userid) to enable again. Users can change their AS/400 password from the Signon Information screen with F9 (only displays if system value QDSPSGNINF is set to 1). Or you can add a call to CHGPWD from a menu. To load a document on a PC from the IFS, your program builds and displays a link on a green screen like this: FILE://QMY400/Docs/MillCert/MyDoc1.jpg that the user can click. I recommend using “safe” characters in the entire path unless you want to replace them in the link (example: blank with %20). If you want to do a simple test, put a file called test.txt in C: , type FILE://localhost/test.txt on a green screen command line and click it. You may need to enable URL hotspots in Client Access first: Edit / Preferences / Hotspots / Execute URL. This FILE:// syntax might not work on a green screen in browser like Host On-demand. You may need syntax like HTTP://www.whatever.com/pathMap/MyDoc1.jpg instead and start the AS/400 web server. That is more complicated because you have to set up the AS/400 HTTP config file (WRKHTTPCFG), but it’s more “user interface” independent. Or use a combination of STRPCO STRPCCMD (‘Start //QMY400/Docs/MillCert/MyDoc1.jpg’) to open the document for the user. This only works for Client Access or a compatible emulator. Users really don’t mind clicking on the URL, so STRPCCMD is a 2nd option. If a program needs to determine if a given IFS PC document really does exist, use ‘stat’. There’s an example CL program on this website somewhere. And, remember to backup the IFS documents now with SAV UPDHST(*YES). Chris

Comment

Working...
                X