What's New and Worthwhile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's New and Worthwhile?

Hello All: I am interested in hearing the opinions of people who have successfully or un-successfully shifted their programming/IT needs from traditional AS/400 RPG/RPGLE green screen programming methods to other technologies generally believed to be more “object orientated”. I’m not looking for theory on what is the best technology! I’m looking for real world situations of people using C#, Java, Visual programming, etc to develop new business processes including web applications, front end user interfaces, back end business apps, etc. In addition to new development, what methods have you been successful with in integrating your older business logic with your newer methods of programming? I do not want to turn this into an IBM versus Microsoft versus Sun versus the World discussion. Nor am I looking for the one technology that will save the world and can do all. I know there are many ways to accomplish the same goal and I also know that it is often several technologies used in conjunction that offer the best solution. Weather you have shifted your development methods due to management, technology needs, curiosity, or all of the above, what have you tried?, what have you been surprised (pleasantly or un-pleasantly) with?, what has stopped your progress dead in the water? We have a strong iSeries group and a strong PC/Microsoft group and we are looking at our options to successfully integrate these groups into a united front. All responses are welcome!
Working...
X