making a screen perform a function, like F3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a screen perform a function, like F3

Hey, CDR? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Let's try a few counter statements: One of the strengths of the IBM midrange is its 5250 interface, which allows fast, heads-down data entry at incredibly high speeds at almost no cost for the peripherals. You can replace a green screen terminal for $50. Try doing that with a Windows PC. As to the bizarre statement about "not too demanding about your job requirements", what sort of job requirements are you envisioning that the iSeries cannot handle that any other machine can? Hell, I can do just about anything I need with RPG, and when I want to use the web, I use Java. Wow! Two languages! Is that too difficult for you? Do you need consultants to help you with either of those languages? Finally, the iSeries was NEVER meant to be a character-at-a-time processor. Ever. That's why it has no native GUI and all of its user interaction is traditional screen-at-a-time processing. The GUI is finally handled by the web interface. The only issue is having the host respond to individual keystrokes. My question is how often do you NEED to go back to your host on a keystroke by keystroke basis? Unless you're doing office automation functions like word processing or spreadsheets, there's really no reason to go to the host until the screen is filled out. And that's not 5250, that's with the web as well. So, if you're looking to make the iSeries process each keystroke like a TRS-80, you probably won't be able to. But if you're looking for the best business logic server on the planet, look no further. Joe

But the iSeries allows you to process that way, HTML or not. If you want HTML, simply learn JSP and servlets. If you want thick client, pick the technology of your choice and connect to the iSeries via TCP/IP of just about any flavor. It's a BUSINESS LOGIC PROCESSOR. If you want presentation quality output, get a Mac, fer goshsakes. Why in the world would you waste the cycles of an iSeries for pixel calculations? You want to use the iSeries for things it wasn't meant to do, and then bitch when it doesn't do them. I suppose you get mad at your lawnmower when it doesn't make a good bundty cake, either. Your position is absolutely incoherent to me. Joe

Comment

Joe Pluta wrote: That's why it has no native GUI This is a common misperception. A GUI was introduced when the System/38 was introduced back in 1979! And (believe it or not) it is still part of base OS/400 no additional license needed. The gist of the arguement is correct. GDDM may not as well be there, since no one knows about it, remembers how to use it, or why it is there in the first place. You needed a special terminal (3197-2) to use the graphical features, and the GDDM APIs are at best difficult to use, as you must use several of them at once, and in a specific order to accomplish anything. The print features of GDDM are still valid. I only bring this up because several posts have stated that you could not improve the 5250 data stream. My point (and I do have one) is that the improvements are already there. Dave

Comment

Hi all, I'm trying some DSM programming. Is there any way to make a screen perform a function? It's like I have the QsnGetAID API to receive the function key from the screen, for example F3 on exit. Is there any way to send the F3 function to the screen and make it exit unattendedly? Thanks in advance

Comment

Thanks, David! I don't consider GDDM for the reasons you've mentioned. We actually used it in a prototype at SSA in the 80's and washed our hands of it. Joe

Comment

Working...
          X