Accessing Non-DB2 data on the iSeries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing Non-DB2 data on the iSeries

The easiest way, and probably the cheapest, would be to use a Type 4 JDBC driver. jTDS offers a free Type 4 driver. All you need then is just enough basic JDBC knowledge to write a simple Java program that accesses the data. I guess the next question is what exactly do you want to do with the Sybase data? http://jtds.sourceforge.net/ Joe

All I want to do is to be able to read the tables, and use that data to either produce a report or update a DB2 file on our iSeries. Is there some sample Java code out there that illustrates how to do this? Where does the JDBC driver reside? On the iSeres somewhere?

Comment

Well, if you know SQL, you can use JDBC. There are a ton of examples of using JDBC to update a database. The JDBC driver is simply a Java class that knows how to talk to the Sybase database engine. Remember that unlike the iSeries, most databases are really standalone programs (called "engines") that allow you to call them through an API. Typically that API is some variety of ODBC (Open Database Connectivity, the original Microsoft standard). JDBC is a wrapper around ODBC, which in turn looks very much like SQL statements. You would use the jDTS JDBC driver classes to access your Oracle database, and then you could do one of three things: 1. Use the IBM JDBC driver classes to write to your DB2 database using JDBC syntax 2. Use the native I/O classes from the toolbox to write to DB2 files directly 3. Use the ProgramCall class from the toolbox to pass the data to an RPG program, which could in turn write to DB2 files or print a report There are other, slightly more complex ways of doing this sort of thing, depnding on your ultimate goal and your programming skills. One option would be to use JDBC to get the Oracle data, convert it to an EBCDIC data structure, and send it to a data queue for processing. There are other ways to skin the cat as well. HTH Joe

Comment

I don't know Java so I guess I'll have to find some other solution. Thanks for your help.

Comment

SEQUEL from ASC (www.asc-iseries.com) recently acquired the ability to query files on other servers (DB2, MS SQL Server, Oracle, MySQL and others).

Comment

Maybe you could use Domino on iSeries to access the remote data. Take a look at: http://www-12.lotus.com/ldd/doc/uafi...-650ReadMe.txt. However, I am (really) struggling to find the equivalent details for i5/OS V5R3.

Comment

http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc?1@17...onid=.5bfbae44 As long as the DBMS suppors JDBC you can. I wrote an article about it check it out. Malik

Comment

Does anyone know of a way to access non-DB2 data on the iSeries? Here's my situation. We have a PC application that is running on a server, and the application is running in Sybase. Both the database sever and the iSeries are on our WAN. I was wondering if it would be possible to access the Sybase database tables via a program on the iSeries. Do I need some kind of special software to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

I seem to remember something about Unix - like APIs that would perform this function. Perhaps someone else can expand upon this. Dave

Comment

Working...
                  X