Help!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!

There are actually books with the titles "JAVA for RPG Programmers" and "JAVA for COBOL Programmers". If they are not available at this web site, do a search on these titles. Dave

Help!!

MC Press has published some very good books about this subject. You can find them at http://www.mc-store.com/java.html.

Comment

Help!!

Beginning Java 2 by Ivor Horton is the best book for learning Java from scratch. View details at Wrox.com. You'll need to go to somewhere like Amazon or Barnes & Noble to order it.

Comment

Help!!

There are actually quite a few beginning Java books, and you probably should get your hands on one. The only problem is they're neither business-oriented nor iSeries specific. If you'd like to get a jumpstart on Eclipse (and thus on WDSC, the new PC-based development environment for the iSeries), you should consider my book, Eclipse: Step by Step. This book assumes no Java or PC knowledge outside of being able to connect to the Internet (and even that is optional), but it walks you through all the steps required to create a functioning Java database application. Even if you've never programmed anything other than RPG or COBOL on a 5250, Eclipse: Step by Step will guide you through every menu option and keystroke required to get a working application up and running. Along the way, you'll be introduced to key concepts of Eclipse and Java, including JDBC (Java Database Connectivity) and SWT (IBM's new GUI for Java). The hardest part about learning a new language is not syntax; it's figuring out how to get all the pieces to work to create functioning code. Eclipse: Step by Step teaches you exactly that in the shortest time possible. You can get it right here at the MCPress Store or at Amazon.com. Joe

Comment

Help!!

I am an RPG/Cobol programmer, but I have recently been given the task of re-writing an application in Java. I know virtually nothing about it. Any ideas on tutorials/books/training aids, which would help get me started in this totally different world of programming?? TIA Bryan

Comment

Help!!

Hi Bruce Eckel - Thinking in JAVA 2nd Edition Free for download a PDF. I'm from the same programming side as you and it was easyer for me to learn a new language direktly without comparing java with my favorite language. (I tryed both ways). But you need time and some friends to ask. Best rainer

Comment

Working...
            X