Java application very slow with DB2 i-series with JT400.jar JDBC driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Java application very slow with DB2 i-series with JT400.jar JDBC driver

We have developed a J2EE, JBOSS application (on Linux O/S) with DB2 as backend database. As customer wanted a failover of database in real time and hence application was developed without any connnection pool.

We have used prepare statements and open and close JDBC connection for each method.

When we we connect to Linux DB2 UDB (in development environment), the performance of the application is fine.
    (1 second for simple screen with simple select statements and 7 seconds for complex screen with multiple Database select/inserts/updates).

Whereas, when we connect to DB2 V5R3 on i-series (AS/400 - QA / Prod environment) using JT400.JAR the application becomes very slow. (3 second for simple screen with simple select statements and 24 seconds for complex screen with multiple Database select/inserts/updates).

Both Linux and DB2 databases contain the same amount of data and schems is same.

Please note the connection query used for AS/400.
    SANFRANCISCO_DB1_READ_URL=jdbc\:as400\://IPaddress;libraries\=QGPL;extended dynamic=true;package criteria=select;package cache=true;dateformat\=jis;

We are looking for performance improvement / tuning suggestions to improve performance of J2EE application when connected to DB2 V5R3 on AS/400.

1) Don't Open and Clsoe the connection.
    2) Cache the prepared statements
    3) Run the DB Monitor to find which indexes should be created.
    4) Ensure you are running the server processes in a memory pool large enought to prevent high page faulting.
    5) Upgrade to a supported release of OS/400. Best would be V6R1.

Comment

Working...
    X