Calling .exe in IFS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling .exe in IFS

Do you mean, how do I run it on a PC? I assume it's a DOS/Windows executable of some sort. If so, you can use RUNRMTCMD to run a command on the PC to execute it, specifying a path to its location thru a mapped network drive. Let's say the exe is WinPgm.exe, is in IFS folder /MyPgms, the iSeries has a file share named My400Pgms that points to MyPgms, and the PC has drive H: mapped to the My400Pgms share. Then you'd just do something like RUNRMTCMD CMD('H:WinPgm.exe') RMTLOCNAME('xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx' *IP) RMTUSER('PCprofile') RMTPWD('PCpassword') CCSID(437) where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the PC's IP address. I suppose it could also be run on an attached Windows 2000 server, the IXFS or whatever they're calling it these days.

Calling .exe in IFS

Ken: Thanks for the response. You are correct, I am trying to run a windows executable. My goal is to set up a CLP to run from the job scheduler that will run the .exe file with appropriate parameters. Can I specify our LAN's IP address instead of a PC IP address? I've been trying to use the command as you suggested, but am getting "access denied" errors. I'll have to do a bit more research on my end to get past that. Thanks again for your help, --Bruce

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

Yes, a PC must be involved. A .exe can only be run on a PC that uses an Intel-compatible processor (Pentium III, Athlon, etc.), and probably only in a Windows environment. The PC can't be running Linux, because the .exe will probably be looking for Windows DLLs. Where did the .exe come from?

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

Ken: Again, thanks for the info...One thing is for certain in this business: you never stop learning. We are looking at some software to encrypt/decrypt data that we exchange with some of our clients, but it is a windows product. There may also be others down the line. Since I want to run this from a batch process started by the job scheduler, I need to find a pc that I can be certain will be running when this process needs to run (which I believe I have found). I also need to resolve my "access denied" issue. Thanks for your help. I'll go play for a while and see if I run into any other stumbling blocks. --Bruce

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

We had to set up a similar process, using PGP on a PC for encryption. There is as yet no inexpensive PGP on the 400. You'll need to read up on using remote commands on a Win2K PC; it runs there as a service, very different than how it runs on a Win98 PC. I don't really know the details; I'm a database guy, not PC/networking, but I did the research to find the info our network guys needed to set it up.

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

You might want to check out a cool little site: http://www.cryptix.org This is an open-source Java-based implementation of EVERY encryption scheme I ever heard of: Blowfish, CAST5, DES, IDEA, MARS, RC2, RC4, RC6, Rijndael, Serpent, SKIPJACK, Square, TripleDES, Twofish, Diffie-Hellman, CBC, CFB-(8, 16, 24, ..., blocksize), ECB, OFB-(blocksize), openpgpCFB, MD2, MD4, MD5, RIPEMD-128, RIPEMD-160, SHA-0, SHA-1, SHA-256/384/512, Tiger, HMAC-MD2, HMAC-MD4, HMAC-MD5, HMAC-RIPEMD-128, HMAC-RIPEMD-160, HMAC-SHA-0, HMAC-SHA-1, HMAC-Tiger, RawDSA, RSASSA-PKCS1, RSASSA-PSS, RSAES-OAEP, RSA/PKCS#1, ElGamal/PKCS#1 Seems like a decent representation, all under the Java JCE standard. Add to that an open-source PGP utility and I think you ought to be able to cobble together whatever you need on your AS/400 for ... well, for free! Joe

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

Is there a way to execute a .exe file which resides in a folder on the IFS via a HLL program? I have tried to use QSH (QShell), but can only find ways to execute commands, not programs. I am primarily an RPG-IV programmer, but we are starting to use the IFS for data and I would like to execute a couple of .exe programs in an automated fashion and am stumped. I don't know any Java, but do know some REXX. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks, --Bruce

Comment

Calling .exe in IFS

Joe: Thanks for the info. I'm not versed in Java, but I did have a look at the site. There is a lot of interesting stuff there. I'll have to give it more time to digest. In the meantime, I've been trying to get RUNRMTCMD to work. From what I've found, I haven't been able to access files that are in folders other than in my c: drive (or sub-folders). I can't get to our LAN or to the IFS. I have tried changing the properties on the iSeries Access for Windows Remote Command service to specify my userid and password from the server, but keep getting error message 1314: "A required privileg is not held by the client" when I try to start the service. I haven't figured out what that means, yet. Any ideas? Thanks, --Bruce

Comment

Working...
                X