X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I believe IBM uses the term "heritage" code instead of "legacy" code. Chris

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I wish we have more RPGIV ILE built in functions like: 1. "%like" that finds a string of text within a text field. 2. "%userid" that returns the current user's Id. 3. "%workstid" that returns the current workstation Id.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Hey, don't just tell us about it... Where/how can I get it?! Karen

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

http://klement.dstorm.net/ftpapi/ I have used this and it works great. Scott Mildenberger

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Karam, I believe as of V5R1 you can use INZ(*USER) as an keyword qualifier for a character field in the D-specs. That's a really easy way to get the User-Id! You can get the Workstation Name indirectly by defining the Program Status Data Structure and moving positions 244 - 253 to some JobName field. This is always the workstation device name for interactive jobs. We use an externally described data structure for the SDS, so don't have to define it every time. The User Name is also available from the PgmSts strucuture. I would guess that the %Scan function would do some of what you mentioned with a proposed %Like BIF. I personally would like to have a %MoveArray function, but I realize why it would be quite cumbersome for IBM to implement. It would be easy to "roll our own" if there were are really bulletproof way for a subprocedure to know the length of the incoming parms! Hope this helps, Rich Hart rhart@atcdgis.com

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I'd like to be able to search up -- instead of alway's having to go down in the source code

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

** This thread discusses the article: Top 10 Things RPG Needs **
              ** This thread discusses the Content article: Top 10 Things RPG Needs **

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I like all these ideas, but I think the "biggest" ideas in importance and maybe urgency are the CGI and FTP functionality, and the drop-SEU suggestion. The FTP functions Cozzi proposes do not look that far afield from the logic used for SQL API's currently. They also fit what I heard an IBM'er say in a seminar once about RPG, that they are looking to incorporate a lot of functions where currently the RPG has to rely on preparatory CL, or QCMDEXC. An example of this is the re-direct in the more recent releases for files to member names. With SEU out of the picture, companies/shops would be asking their developers what editors they want, and you bet GUI would be it. It's just inertia, but IBM has shown willingness to "shake up" things with its "green-screen" charges while providing a whole lot more development tools with V5 "at no extra charge".

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I would opt for items that contributes the following attributes to programming code: 1). Consistancy 2). Intuitive 3). Helps that clearly explains how to do something. 4). And Helps that explains what features maybe more appropiate to use. 5). Productivity that helps to lower cost A lot of times, just adding a new feature adds to the complexity and to the learning curve for using these tools. I work hard to keep the applications I write for my users as simple to use as possible. You and IBM should have the same focus for us as programmers.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I agree with all of your suggestions. However, I do still use SEU in some cases. I would definitely want it loaded on my system, if only for emergency purposes. It comes in handy when I need to make a quick change from a PC that doesn't have Code400 loaded. Even on a PC with no 5250 emulation I can always telnet in to make changes. In case of a network problem SEU changes can be made from the console. This may not affect all others as much, but we operate a 24x7 production facility and we live and die by uptime. Personally, the change I've wanted the most for many years is multi-dimensional array support.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

I've long been, for the most part a supporter of many changes to the RPG language. However, we all must face the fact that the numbers of RPG coders are growing smaller each year. Although sad to me, it's all right. We should be encouraging IBM to develop an entirely new language like Microsoft did with C#. Instead of adding C++ and Java to RPG and creating something many people do not care for or even want to use, we should want, no demand, a new universal language from IBM. Why are we limiting ourselves? We have always been leading edge types. So why all of a sudden are we afraid to let go of the past, including what I consider poorly thought out and designed tools such as ILE RPG and Code/400. We really shouldn't limit ourselves this way. Let's be the future and demand something new. Something that will be compatible with Windows, UNIX and whatever IBM has. Something that can generate code just as Graphical as Windows, as business like as RPG/COBOL,and is naturally Web enabled. Something other than JAVA and XML (I could care less what it actually ends up as). WE should insist on something better than what IBM has to offer period.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

builder wrote: "Something other than JAVA..." Just curious. Why something other than Java? rd

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

IBM's in the business of making it easier for their customers (big sprawling monolithic corporations like IBM itself) to control their IT costs. One way they seek to do this is by rallying around Java, so that corporations can run all sorts of different workloads on the iSeries, where they'd have to buy multiple boxes before. This also means the number of programs that run on iSeries increases, as does the number of people who can write programs that run on iSeries. For these reasons, IBM is not likely to develop a new language. About the only scenario I can think of that they would do it is if Java loses its viability. In that event, they'd either latch onto .Net or come up with their own competitor.

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Agreed, Robert. Not bloody likely. "About the only scenario I can think of that they would do it is if Java loses its viability. In that event, they'd either latch onto .Net or come up with their own competitor." No one could do anything to make another language viable that hasn't been done with Java. It can't become unviable, yet another language become viable. But I know you were just commenting on the only possibility, etc. rd

Comment

Top 10 Things RPG Needs

Does anyone know the total count of RPG developers worldwide? (From System3x to the Iseries.)

Comment

Working...
                              X