TechTip: Create Hash Tables in RPG with the Dictionary ADT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Create Hash Tables in RPG with the Dictionary ADT **
    Craig: I understand fully what you're saying. As it is now, I don't have access to iSeries hardware since I'm still between jobs. There just aren't that many iSeries shops hiring within a comfortable commuting distance, and I don't want to move. I suppose I could sign up for one of those iSeries time-sharing services. But unless McPressOnline pays significantly better for technical articles than the couple of IMHO articles I had published, there's still little incentive there. Still, if there's some money to be made, I should consider writing libraries with functionality useful for RPG programmers. I rather like the idea of being self-employed rather than "working for the man!" Craig, and others reading: If you have ideas for useful RPG related tools or function libraries that you'd be willing to pay for, or RPG related technical articles, send your ideas to me at hans@boldts.net. Seriously. Yeah, I know I've been hard on RPG and the iSeries lately. But honestly, I did enjoy working on them, and I would like to work with them again. Believe me - the iSeries is still a whole lot more pleasant to work with that the zSeries. I suppose deep down, I'm still rather bummed out over the summer 2004 re-org that moved me out of the iSeries area at the Toronto Lab. Anyways, thanks for giving me something to think about. Cheers! Hans

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Create Hash Tables in RPG with the Dictionary ADT **
      Yes that makes sense, Adam. Performance would be better by minimizing the number of operations it takes to insert or retrieve an entry from a table. I studied accounting in college, so some of the low-level algorithms used in computer science are a bit of a stretch for me. I've done some coding of linked lists in RPG; dynamically expanding and contracting lists as entries are added or deleted, but I don't recall ever creating an index to speed up retrieval. Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

Yes, depends on the contract. But the client wields all the power. If they state that they will own the code, and you disagree, you don't get the contract. iSeries contractors that have bills to pay say sure, you own the code Mr client. Or the contract goes to someone else or overseas. I was an iSeries contractor for 11 years and *always* had to sign a contract that stated the client, not me, owned the code. So, if you own the code as you say, do these companies pay you royalities for using YOUR code? Do you have them sign a software license to use your code that you wrote for them? If so, do they comply with this? Chris

Comment

Working...
        X