Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page

** This thread discusses the article: Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page **
    This is a discussion about Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page.

Click here for the article.

** This thread discusses the article: Hiding Email Addresses on Your Web Page **
    Correct me if I am wrong.....So now if I know the hexadecimal notation for "@.com", wouldn't it be just as easy for me to use a sniffer program to scan the buffer for that sequence?

Comment

You are correct a program could just scan for the char value, the % or the &# equivalent. However, if the three ways were randomly mixed together in the same string it could create so many different combinations the sniffer would be rendered almost useless.

Comment

I don't understand at all. Is this in reference to the HREF in HTML source or visual text on the web page? If HREF (or visual text), the syntax of the various forms of representation is consistent so could easily be converted back to ASCII by a sniffer, could it not? If visual text on the web page, can't you put anything you want on the mailto link? I put Contact us at admin@justiceforchandra.com on my home page, but I didn't need to include the email address there if I didn't want to. I'm missing something big here. The "doesn't attempt to de-obfuscate" because so many are harvested is probably true for those that deliberately misspell their addresses for people to retype spelled correctly, but I would think that just converting hex and decimal numbers to ASCII wouldn't be an impediment to automatically convert in place. In any event, I have had the same email address for eight years now posted on widely sniffed forums (Usenet, slashdot, etc.) and spam has just about trickled to a stop. I used to get hundreds a day, trapped but I visually scanned through the junk email looking for valid subjects. I get maybe a half dozen spams a day now. I have to wonder if spam is still a problem anymore. Also, for everyone, since I mentioned my home page, I was unable to publish my book Murder on a Horse Trail as a paperback due to publishers not handling open cases, so I have published as a free online book on my site www.justiceforchandra.com. I've also enhanced with the web experience using color maps and pictures I couldn't get into a paperback. The link for Murder on a Horse Trail: The Disappearance of Chandra Levy is http://www.justiceforchandra.com/for...forum.php?f=32. Or let someone you know that watches Court TV and such know about this free online true crime murder mystery. No ads, I make no money on it, so enjoy. regards, rd

Comment

JustinW wrote: > Correct me if I am wrong.....So now if I know the hexadecimal > notation for "@.com", wouldn't it be just as easy for me to use a > sniffer program to scan the buffer for that sequence? The method Bob mentions was begun over 5 years ago and was a good method. I haven't been tracking the spam industry like I used to so I don't know if it's been overcome -- like you, I'd think it had been. The automated harvest-proof method of displaying an email address, and one I've recommended for our company's website, is to display it in a jpg or gif file. We lose the automated mail-to capability but that's a small price to pay. Bill

Comment

Yes, if someone wanted to simply scan for the hex characters for @ and .com I suppose a sniffer would then work. However, most people in the business of sniffing for email addresses do not do this since it slows things down substancially and isn't worth the effort. Basically, from what I've read, if you use and obfuscating techinque, they leave you alone. Not that they can't do it, it is just to easy to go elsewhere so they just don't bother.

Comment

Ok, that makes sense, Bob. Thanks. rd

Comment

I used to get junk emails forwarded from the mspressonline address (until I substituted the word "at" for "@"). The logical question is to find out what if anything MC Press Online is doing to obfuscate the email address in the user profile. Dave

Comment

Hey David, That was something that happened to some users way back when this site was launched. The site used to display the mcpressonline email address (never your real email address) on the user profile page, and I think some spiders/spammers harvested those addresses. Changing your user name changed your mcpressonline address, making those harvested addresses useless. The site was changed at that time to not display the mcpressonline email address either, so it shouldn't be an issue now, AFAIK. Brian

Comment

Working...
                  X