• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your First CGI Program

** This thread discusses the article: Your First CGI Program **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Your First CGI Program **

Your First CGI Program

Way to go Bob! I think that you've managed to clear up years of confusion on AS/400 web-enablement. It seems that everyone has a different opinion of how to get there form here. Often, I think people don't see the forest for the trees on this issue. Also, keeping it simple insures some sort of compatability with future technology-- not to mention understanding what's actually happening with your code and any APIs it utilizes. Scott

Comment

Your First CGI Program

Way to go Bob! I think that you've managed to clear up years of confusion on AS/400 web-enablement. It seems that everyone has a different opinion of how to get there from here. Often, I think people don't see the forest for the trees on this issue. Also, keeping it simple insures some sort of compatability with future technology-- not to mention understanding what's actually happening with your code and any APIs it utilizes. Scott

Comment

Your First CGI Program

I printed your article and sent it up the chain. Also printed the preliminary results of the reader's poll. We are constantly being harrassed to use WebSphere or some other 3rd party gig that promises to do the same thing. Management wants to "web-face" but doesn't know how to go about doing it (other than listening to the vendors!) The problems we're running into are the same ones that you've mentioned @ RPG World (about WebSphere) and the fact that you have to learn the "background" code of any 3rd party package one might choose. I'd rather spend my "learning curve" time working with RPG-CGI than figuring out what the heck JML is. I've been making the same arguments for CGI since I've been back from Deerfield. Thanks for the backup, Bob!

Comment

Your First CGI Program

I have never heard of CGI. By the way, what does the acronym stand for? I have been looking into VARPG, to get GUI to our desktops. So far it's not that bad. It is Client/Server however. CGI sounds like the client is the web browser. That sounds good. I'm hoping it's not rocket science though. Anyone out there use any of this? James

Comment

Your First CGI Program

Thanks Bob for the great article. If you could also mention about setting up AS400 for CGI application development that would be great. Prakash

Comment

Your First CGI Program

> Thanks Bob for the great article. If you could also mention > about setting up AS400 for CGI application development > that would be great. Hi Prakash, Stop by the IBM Easy/400 web site for examples on how to do CGI development on iSeries. http://www-922.ibm.com/en? Also, the Infocenter for HTTP is at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...zaie/rzaierefe rence.htm and it covers some CGI information. --buck

Comment

Your First CGI Program

I agree CDR! I've gotten so frustrated with search400 and how they tease you with links, and then you have to pay... Bob has always been the answer guy for the technology world us iSeries dudes and dudettes live in. I saw this article title last month, but we've been so busy getting our new 5th generation 520 up and running and V5R3 I haven't had time. I was looking for some CGI info, and there's Bob with the answer!

Comment

Working...
                X