Warning: Undefined array key "birthday_search" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 173

Warning: Undefined array key "joindate" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 190

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 191

Warning: Undefined array key "posts" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 197

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 6509

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 212

Warning: Undefined array key "privacy_options" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/api/user.php on line 251

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 4998

Warning: Undefined array key "userid" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1585

Warning: Undefined array key "lastactivity" in phar:///home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb/vb.phar/library/user.php on line 1601

Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/duptmor/public_html/prod.mcpressonline.com/forum/core/vb5/route/profile.php on line 74
RPG and DB2: The Future Is Now (Part II) - MC Press Online Forums

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RPG and DB2: The Future Is Now (Part II)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: RPG and DB2: The Future Is Now (Part II) **
    Dave, Good catch. I think you scored on that one. But seriously, if you do it without the quotes, there are many matches where there are courses taught on RPG. -dan
    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:52 PM.

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: RPG and DB2: The Future Is Now (Part II) **
      Joe, It was just amusing to me that the quoted string, which you provided, did not get a match. I was only searching to try and get a rough idea of how many RPG courses were offered. I suspect it somewhat less then Kevin's 65,000 since that seems to include all those "Role Playing Games" Dave

Comment

Dave, And the closer you get to the end of those 65,000, I bet you'll find them where the references are even more obscure. Probably 10% of those records would be a good figure to start with as a guess about how many of them are really about RPG courses. Of course, that doesn't mean there's that many courses offered..... -dan

Comment

Dan, I added iseries to the search criteria (no quotes) and it dropped to less than 1,000. A number of those seem to be the infamous IBM University.
          Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

OOooo. That's way less than 10%.... And iseries JAVA university courses yeilds over 6000. Hmmmm....
            Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:53 PM.

Comment

OK I got hooked and did some searching, I also have quite a bit of spare time in short bursts at the moment. using IBM Scholars iSeries Program it looks like there are about 250 US based education centers offering iSeries training. For those that see or want a need to increase that number why not get your employer or local user group to sponsor a college IBM FAQ BTW 250 is more than what I imagined before Joe's article triggered some investigation. Dave
              Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Joe, I was not planning to engage in commentary on your article. But you continue to raise skeptism that java cannot be a good language for business development. The idea that Java will someday be a good language for business development is pure wishful thinking; unless you can show me an MRP generation written in Java Well I dont work in the manufacturing so I cant comment on MRP, but would guess that ERP would be at least a similar degree of business complexity. I dont follow the ERP space closely but the following are some ERP solutions developed in java.
                  [*]Oracle[*]Momentum[*]Peoplesoft[*]MySAP[*]Compiere (Open Source)[*]JERPA (Open Source)[*]EFACS[*]Intentia[*]I believe Lawson announced in June 2004 that it is moving to J2EE.[/list]

Comment

Guffaws and chuckles! My favourite is "Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it!" But back on topic, I don't want to confuse the issue at hand with meaningless facts, but I notived something funny about the COMMON speakers list at "http://www.common.org/conferences/conferences_04/fall/sessions/SPEAKERS.HTM". Some of you may have heard Phil Coulthardt speak either at COMMON or at some other conference. If so, you know he's one of the more dynamic speakers IBM has to offer. Isn't it strange he's NOT speaking at this COMMON? In his home town?? Could it be that he was one of the people "re-assigned"??? I think someone has some spainin' to do. RIght, Joe? q

Comment

dave400 wrote: I dont follow the ERP space closely but the following are some ERP solutions developed in java. * Oracle * Momentum * Peoplesoft * MySAP * Compiere (Open Source) * JERPA (Open Source) * EFACS * Intentia * I believe Lawson announced in June 2004 that it is moving to J2EE. Intentia was rewritten from RPG to Java. I don't know but I suspect they used the AS/400 Java wrappers for native I/O conversion and thus run on the AS/400 instead of "universal". I think that's what it comes down to. AS/400 native I/O, data types, and operands oriented around efficient business processing instead of trying to do the same thing with SQL. In my opinion the business world has rejected IT ever since they left Cobol and RPG to screw around with SQL, the universal database language, in C or Java, the universal programming languages, in a hardware seller's dream scenario. They keep paying more and getting less, and I think they now see the new age IT emperor has no clothes. The rest above are not MRP manufacturing. MySAP last I checked was cutesy CRM stuff. PeopleSoft manufacturing is JDE. Even then, core PeopleSoft functionality is written in Cobol. Oracle has a lot of stuff in Java SQL but I hadn't seen MRP talked about, but then, after a year unemployed I'm out of the loop. I'll be daggoned if I lower myself to this crap though. Business people know we can do better, and so do I. rd
                    Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

The JDEdwards OneWorld stuff on my 400 looks like straight RPG/CL. The security peice is ILE CL/RPG. The jobs run from the clients are mainly SQL packages. I don't see any Java anywhere. Could be the Wintel part is.... -dan
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-04-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X