10 New Functions We'd Like to See in RPG IV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: 10 New Functions We'd Like to See in RPG IV **
    I first approached IBM with a request for multi-dimensional array capability in RPG back in 1980! They became tired of hearing from me on this issue, and I became tired of trying. Dave

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: 10 New Functions We'd Like to See in RPG IV **
      I think this is a great idea also. I have used *nopass and *omit parameters and have to code the "if its null then set a separate internal variable to a particular value" logic. This seems somewhat tedeous and unnecessary.

Comment

We haven't embraced free format use in my shot partly because we on still supporting our products' customers on release V5R1 so we can not tell all developers to write all new code in free or anything like that. My problem with /free is the jumping in and out; for F-specs, D-specs, P and B specs, etc. and (I know this is a touchy subject) but the lack of a Move equivalent. I just can't get into the habit of using the suggested C-functions to accomplish the same thing. It seems like a "messy" way to get the job done.

Comment

Yes, these would be great. ASAP. I considered trying to write one but that typing of the variables thing would require that I have at least a couple procedures; one for numeric testing and one for alphanumeric. This is where "typeless" parameters would be nice. But making the parameters typeless would make at least one of the purposes of prototyping, making sure the parameters used in the procedure call are correct, less valuable.

Comment

Can't you simply BASED the datastructures on a nonexistant pointer to not take up storage? I've seen this trick a lot for just this purpose.

Comment

For #8, if (A = B) code = 3 ;, let me understand this. Since parentheses are optional it could be coded like this: if A = B code = 3 ; That ain't pretty. I'd say end the IF with a ; If A = B ; code = 3 ; EndIf ; Just my 2 cents! Chris

Comment

If IBM wants us to move towards SQL, RPG IV needs a major overhaul. 1. Get rid of the /free junk. Make all the statements free format not just the calc statements. We don't use /free because of having to oscillate between fix and free formats. 2. Blend SQL into the compiler so when running an SQL process in a procedure, the SQL feedback is local to the procedure, not global. 3. Get rid of the SQL pre-compile. How many hours have been lost trying to figure out the cryptic messages when the pre-compile fails. 4. Allow record format name to be the same as the table name in RPG IV. 5. Full NULL support. 6. Previous release support when new features are added to compiler. One reason we can not use some of the new BIFS and features offered on V5R2 and V5R3 is we have to support V5R1 systems.

Comment

Working...
                X