TechTip: Preventing Record Lock, Part 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Preventing Record Lock, Part 1 **
    I'd like to throw in my 2 cent's worth. To me, most of this is focusing on the wrong part of the problem. Interactive programs have the brains of the client behind them (that is, backing up the logic of the program of course). Issue the lock message to that client in whatever format makes sense to you, the client, and however your programming practices dictate. It's the batch programs that are having the biggest problem, so fix them! I routinely code batch programs to deal with record locks. These programs all have auditable reports anyways, so simply kick out the transactions that have problems with a suitable error message. You don't stop the program unless continuing would cause other major issues. As a last resort, we can run batch updates during our time-critical section of nightly processing, which kicks everyone off the system anyways. Note that this is truly a last resort, however, because downtime is a Bad Thing. The system has been carefully created to minimize downtime and we need to support that. This technique gets 99.99% of the work done, when it needs to be done. Problems are dealt with on an exception basis, which makes business sense (and not just technological sense).

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Preventing Record Lock, Part 1 **
      It's a clumsy test for intervening updates from other programs. It test every field, not just the ones that matter. My next tip in the series will introduce a more advanced version of the same concept. Thanks for the comments! Kevin

Comment

The examples I gave in the tech tip actually prevented record locks from occurring in interactive programs which are the usual culprits in creating record lock issues. The batch programs you discuss are usually the victims! They can be modified to react to record lock when it occurs. But if you prevent record lock in the first place, would you need to? If you find yourself unable to prevent record lock for whatever reason, and you wish to modify your programs to test for it and react to it, you will find that topic discussed in my third tip in this series. (Not sure when it will be posted) Thanks! Kevin

Comment

Working...
        X