No announcement yet.

Job Logging from RPG IV--The Easy Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Logging from RPG IV--The Easy Way!

** This thread discusses the article: Job Logging from RPG IV--The Easy Way! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Job Logging from RPG IV--The Easy Way! **

Bob: Where can one find the DSPUSRTRC command? We are at V5R2 and I don't see it on our system. Is this an IBM command or one of your X-Tools? Thanks, --Bruce Guetzkow

Comment

Bob, Great article. I can think of many uses for this API in my own projects. Thanks! Buck

Comment

Qp0zLprintf doesn't appear to exist in V5R2.

Comment

It's in the InfoCenter under UNIX-type APIs, subtype Problem Determination APIs. V5R1: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...pis/p0zlog.htm V5R2: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iserie...pis/p0zlog.htm and similarly for V5R3.

Comment

Sure it is there in V5R2 and all releases. I used in on V4R5, V5R1 and V5R2 today.

Comment

Hi Bob, At my shop we built our own version into a service program which we call from RPG,CL, and SQL. It takes a 2K varchar and sends the message using as many CPF9898's (general purpose message) as required. I was looking for an advantage over this method in this article and it leads me to the substition variables in particular. Why would you bother with them and all the additional parameters when you could just contcatenate them into the string? Regards, Darron.

Comment

Because it is often "easier" and more concise to say: qp01Lprintf(szMyMsg: %char(custNo):'is not found.') Than to code: SndJobLog(%TrimR(szMyMsg) + %char(custno) + ' is not found.') But either technique works. The beauty of the API approach is that you can do it either way. That is you could have issued the following statement: qp01Lprintf(%TrimR(szMyMsg) + %char(custno) + ' is not found.') Both work. -Bob

Comment

Bob: I don't have a command called DSPUSRTRC on our Model 270 iSeries at V5R2. I have looked in *ALL libraries. I went to InfoCenter and can't find it there (although that isn't conclusive...I'd have better luck finding a vanilla ice cream cone in a blizzard at the North Pole). I even did a google on DSPUSRTRC and found nothing. Are you sure this wasn't a QUSRTOOL or something? Thanks, --Bruce Guetzkow

Comment

Bob, Nice approach to getting values from an executing program. At the end of the article you say, "To view the data in the user trace space, use the DSPUSRTRC CL command." I agree with g-man. You reference DSPUSRTRC CL command, then the article ends. If there is something missing, can you update it with the rest of the information? DSPUSRTRC CL is not an IBM program. Can you fill us in on the rest of it of the thought Thanks Dwight Troy NH

Comment

Sorry, I suppose I wrote a wrapper CL command named DSPUSRTRC to call IBM's DMPUSRTRC (Dump User Trace). -Bob

Comment

Working...
                      X