Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Just Paint My Walls

** This thread discusses the article: Don't Just Paint My Walls **
    This is a discussion about Don't Just Paint My Walls.

Click here for the article.

Don't Just Paint My Walls

I pretty much agree with the intentions of the article (much of an open door to me anyway) nut a few months ago I ran into problems when using *LIBL on a command while the file in question was in my *CURLIB. My program kept crashing because of the file being missing, but it wasn't. It turned out that this particular command (I forgot which one, shame on me) did not regard the current library to be part of the library list. I ended up adding the current library to my library list before executing the command. My colleague and me figure it to be a V5R2 bug, but we haven't checked other releases.

Comment

Poorly written code really gets my goat. Many times you can have a reasonable discussion about alternate means of achieving the same ends. However, much of what I see is just awful stuff written by amateurs or people who don't care. It isn't professional. At any rate, I wanted to say that even before named constants became available in RPG, there was still a better way than "magic numbers" appearing in the middle of a program. You simply defined a variable in your initialization section and commented it. It's formal definition was as a variable, but you used it as a constant. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than nothing.

Comment

Awful code often manifests due to a lack of standards implemented in the programmer environment also. It is more prevalent when using contractors who are never made aware of standards if they exist. Best practice or guidelines will help cut down awful code. No "GOTO" no "SETON" allowed !

Comment

What the reality is for us programmers is that standards are package driven, even where multiple packages are used in a shop, and if custom then the standards used for the custom code. I don't care what someone's preference is, their coding standards should conform to the prevailing standards of the code system being enhanced to be effective work for the one paying for it. Occasionaly, someone gets to set standards for new systems, whether it be a new ILE release of a package or a new major custom subsystem, they choose their idea of best practices, and that may include no hard coded numbers as a standard and standards for date representation and manipulation and others dicussed here, but RPG programmers are going to use the standards of the code they're working on. They always have, and they're quite flexible about it. They have had to be to be effective. See my second paragraph. rd

Comment

I agree, standards (if they exist) are useless. Let the programmers do it their way, after all, they ARE the experts.

Comment

Working...
            X