Tips and Techniques: Eliminate Function Key Response Indicators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

** This thread discusses the article: Tips and Techniques: Eliminate Function Key Response Indicators **
    I noticed the "chip" on Cozzi's shoulder at the first COMMON I attended back in 1986. He's a smart guy so I've learned to look past the attitude and into the meat of his message. Fortunately, I'm a smart guy also so I can recognize the difference between a good technique of his and one that he likes simply because that's the way he does it. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "hassanfarooqi" wrote in message news:6b20c14c.10@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > "every time I read an article on tips and techniques by Robert Cozzi Jr I get the feeling of superiority coming through the words he is writing?" > > After a certain time, professionals gets "opinionated". An opinionated person is hated by many and loved and valued by many. Bob Cozzi is a legend and has to be opinionated. So dont let the tone of an opinionated person think wrongly about him. > > Actually none of the techniques Bob Cozzi mentioned are new. I use newer techniques e.g. suggestion 2. I not only use INFDS to eliminate *INKx, I also use INDDS to eliminate all *IN(x)! Compare the following one-line "SLICK" C style code I use instead of the Bob's "Primitive" code in suggestion 6. > > SHPDTE= %int(%char(%date(INVDTE:*ISO)+%days(WKDAYS):*ISO0) ); > > Now tell me, dont you get the feeling of superiority coming through the words I write? LOL

Comment

** This thread discusses the article: Tips and Techniques: Eliminate Function Key Response Indicators **
      The ones I have written are a little more complex than what might be called functions we see so much of in examples, but not quite complex enough to have their own subroutines. They were mainly complex subroutines with a lot of local variables that could be in a service program or bound to multiple programs instead of COPY'd in with required global variables also needing to be COPY'd in. (I've never used the COPY technique myself.) However, for the level of complexity of what one would call a component in client side programming, I think a subprocedure with subroutines would implement that nicely. rd

Comment

I never doubted that Cozzi is a smart guy. I have even used some of his suggestions and technique's (along with suggestions and techniques of other "smart" people I have had the pleasure of working with in my 20 years of programming). The point of my original post was my annoyance with someone preaching from their high horse. Instead telling programmers (sometimes known as people ;-) that "this technique is the worse thing you could do" or "that way of programming is the worse thing you can do". Just offer up your opinion and say why "YOU" like to do it this way (describe the benefits of doing it this way as opposed to doing it another way).

Comment

Bob, I am using this procedure and wherever possible, change existing programs to also utilize this. I have come across a situation where this procedure may NOT be a good idea, but to leave the program using indicators. This program presently links *in03 to CF03, so that when function key 3 is pressed, indicator 3 is switched on. However once the process is completed, indicator 3 is switched off. When using the WSDS technique, it seems you cannot switch off (read change) the value in Fkey, and further logic for different screens then uses the value in Fkey. Am I doing something wrong? I have tried eval Fkey = @f04 move @f04 Fkey movel @f04 Fkey to no avail. My question: can the value in field Fkey, as part of WSDS, be changed within the program? If so how? or is it just my brain not being in the correct gear? Alan Shore

Comment

Working...
          X