Tips and Techniques: Displaying the Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips and Techniques: Displaying the Console

** This thread discusses the article: Tips and Techniques: Displaying the Console **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Tips and Techniques: Displaying the Console **

** This thread discusses the article: Tips and Techniques: Displaying the Console **
    Where is procedure getchar located? in which service program. I cannot understand it from the source, and I cannot understand it from using DSPPGM. This is another reason why to use the simple old tested and easy to use CALL-PARM instead of procedures.

Comment

You're showing your age, Bob. We used to call the Radio Shack TRS-80 the "Trash-80" although it was a decent computer. I cut my programming teeth on it. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, Bob. Tom.

Comment

I remember these. The coolest thing I ever made on the trs80 was an airplane that flew up the screen. That was a long time ago. Used the teletype as a police dispatcher too, long time ago. Wow what memories. Look how far we have advanced today.

Comment

and you can easily define a command to run the program. Greg.

Comment

There is a binding directory named QC2LE that is used by the example source member. This is included in OS/400 by IBM. It is referenced by this source member in the following statement: H BNDDIR('QC2LE') That's how getchar() is imported into the example program.

Comment

How do I know in which service program this subprocedure is located. In this case that it is an IBM utility it does not matter. But If I would start using ILE widely in my programs, for someone else, or for myself in a few years from now, it will be hard to find out where the procedure comes from. Even if I know already the service program it is in, the service program himself has many modules. So in which module this particular subprocedure is located? How do I know? Why should I trade in the simple CALL-PARM function into something new, that take more line to code, and not as clear that is really better?

Comment

No, I think he's showing he's a little younger than us. It'd been far more accurate but less dramatic to use DOS as the example. DOS only had some special characters in addition to rolling text lines, whereas the Trash-80 had primitive graphics and some special characters in addition to rolling text lines. And it had a getchar function. We've come a long way, baby. rd

Comment

I had a Commodore Vic-20 in 83-84 on which I animated a bat and was able to synthesize Mozart's Symphony #40. It had a 16k memory and a cassette drive. I bought it to practice BASIC. Later came Commodore 64 with an initial memory of 64k and a diskette drive! I did not buy anything until IBM PC clones were cheaply available in 1989.

Comment

QC2LE is a C function library. If you know C, you dont need to remember anything as getchar etc are standard C routines not limited to AS/400. If you are not interested in learning C, yet in knowing the C functions for RPG, you can still consult the IBM C API manual and know them all at the same time.

Comment

Thanks for a very useful utility. I use PKZIP regularly on the 400 to the IFS and it comes in real handy. Speaking of TRS-80 and DOS, whatever happened to Ctl-S and Ctl-Q?

Comment

I still have my Vic-20 and 64. And, they still work. I also have a sinclair ZX-81 and these are its specs: CPU: Z80Z at 3.25 MHz ROM: Containing 8k BASIC interpreter RAM: 1K byte internal, externally expandable to 16K bytes Keyboard: 40 key, w/ graphics and function modes, includes 20 graphical and 54 inverse video characters. Sinclair calls the keyboard a "touch sensitive membrane". Display: 24 lines x 32 characters (text) 64 x 44 pixels in graphics mode Transfer rate to and from the cassette recorder is 250 baud.

Comment

If I am writing my own procedure and putting it in a module, and that module is part of a service program, and that service program is refernced in the program through a binding directory, now by looking on the program code how do i Find where is the procedure located. If I am using CALL-PARM, everything is so simple. It is a one to one relationship. I a mdoing Wrkpgm Pgmnam. My point is to not start something new untill we know that it is of good qality and better than what it was before and it does not miss vital parts of what we achived up to now.

Comment

Working...
                          X