Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fun with Binding Directories

** This thread discusses the article: Fun with Binding Directories **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Fun with Binding Directories **

Fun with Binding Directories

All this trouble to embellish binding directories. Good Lord Bob, you must be bored!

Comment

The article content is great but I really don't understand the problem. I have been working with binding directories for a while and have not yet discovered any problems related to the order in which things are listed in the binding directory. Maybe I have just been lucky. We are typically only binding service programs and don't go down the whole binding modules path. The other problem mentioned was having the ability to change the library name. I guess I can see a need for this but you can just leave the library name as *LIBL and then let the library list do the work for you. I am probably missing something... Thanks for your many articles and tips. Garrett

Comment

Ah, the beauty of REXX! I usually set up a REXX source with nicely formatted commands to create my binding directory, and then run it. Then, when I need any changes, I simply edit the REXX procedure, then do a STRREXPRC (Option 16 or Run Procedure, depending on the environment I'm in). All done. I usually code the REXX procedure something like this:
         /* Binding Directory for UI00110R */ bnddir='UI00110RB'; "dltbnddir" bnddir; "crtbnddir" bnddir; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R01 *module))"; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R02 *module))"; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R03 *module))"; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R04 *module))"; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R05 *module))"; "addbnddire" bnddir "((UI00110R06 *module))"; 
        This way, it's easy to add/change libraries (this example of course is using *LIBL and *CURLIB), reorder, add, change, and delete entries, etc. This is a much simpler solution, I think.

Comment

I agree that the binding directory should have been in a source member, but it really is not a big deal that it's not in one. I bet I haven't had the need to change the binding order in a binding directory over 2 times in the last 5 years. Most of our binding directories only contain service programs. It's not any problem to remove an entry then add it back and place it where I want using the ADDBNDDIRE command.

Comment

There are a number of other people who use the iSeries. Many of them have created large binding directories. When they need to modify those binding directories they have problems with the limitations in the WRKBNDDIRE command. This solution allows them to retrieve the source and then use SEU or WDSc or Windows Notepad to rearrange the *BNDDIR source and recreate it. Not every solution is for every programmer.

Comment

Working...
            X