Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Arghhh! Free-Format RPG IV Has No MoveA!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Arghhh! Free-Format RPG IV Has No MoveA!

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Arghhh! Free-Format RPG IV Has No MoveA! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Arghhh! Free-Format RPG IV Has No MoveA! **

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Arghhh! Free-Format RPG IV Has No MoveA! **
    Ary1(x) = %str(%addr(Ary2):size(Ary2:*all)); (The null terminator gets truncated). No FOR loops. No work fields.

Comment

While we all struggle to create good examples, I think the method used to convert pound signs to blanks in "fixed format" is a bit too contrived. I mean, the way I would have done it is: C '#':' ' XLATE LONGNAME LONGNAME Or even: C eval LongName = %XLate('#':' ':longname) /FREE adds little if anything to this mix.

Comment

%Char can be used with the Extended Factor 2 and does not require /free. While /free is beneficial for long, long names, I rarely if ever see long names being used in practice (but they should be). About the only benefit of /FREE is the extensions IBM has added to the UPDATE and CHAIN opcodes that allow selective output of specific field names and an adhoc key list, respectively. Those are the types of things a /FREE article might want to point out to readers. What we don't need is yet another way to do the same old thing is RPG. IMHO

Comment

For example #1, why not use the XLATE opcode? Using a /free example using %xlate, and ignoring the XLATE opcode may be prejudicial. Dave

Comment

The whole point was to show new ways to replace the old standard MOVEA when the desire is to use /FREE coding. So, the author is not ignoring XLATE op-code, it just does not fit into this topic. Neither does discussion about using %CHAR in extended factor 2.

Comment

What value does X have?

Comment

Working...
              X