Hex to Character Conversion Revisited

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hex to Character Conversion Revisited

** This thread discusses the article: Hex to Character Conversion Revisited **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Hex to Character Conversion Revisited **This is a discussion about Hex to Character Conversion Revisited.

Click here for the article.

When converting from char to hex, the source length should be twice the Char input length, not the Char input length. Jim

Comment

In the article you state: cvthc converts from character value to hexadecimal text (that is, from 'A' to X'C1'). I feel that this may be incorrect. 'A' is the same as x'C1' Is it not correct to state: ... (that is, from 'A' to x'FCF1' or 'C1')

Comment

I have a need to convert EBCDIC characters to ASCII Hex (A123 = x'41313233'). Can these routines convert among CCSID's? Any other way to do this other than Select/When?

Comment

You can use iconv() to convert between CCSIDs and then call cvthc and cvtch to convert between character and hex.

Comment

Thanks Bob. The cvtch and cvthc functions only work on 0-9, A-F. I need to be able to convert the entire character set, including non-alphanumeric characters (i.e. "-/.#" etc.). Any suggestions?

Comment

I don't want to sound rude, but you're missing something. You can convert any of the 256 characters to their 2-character hexadecimal equivalent and back again. There is no restrictions.

Comment

Bob, Thanks very much, yet again, for this valuable technique. I would like to utilize it now in my auditing. Could you please give a example of the Calc specs used to perform this conversion? I need to take any variable and convert it, as in a program dump which shows both Character and Hexidecimal for the variable. Many, many Thanks, Paul H. Harkins

Comment

Bob, how can I specify a codepage (CCSID) there ? I ask because different codepages mean different characters. For example the hex value X'7C' means in codepage 1141 the value "§" and in codepage 1153 the value "@". BR, Konni

Comment

The meaning of the data doesn't matter to the API. If you have a byte with the value x'7C', the toHex function will give '7C', no matter how x'7C' might appear if you display it.

Comment

Simple example attached...
                      Code

Comment

Phil, Many thanks for the complete example. The convert to and from Hex routines would make great BIFs for IBM in RPGLE. Best Regards, Paul H. Harkins

Comment

Normally you convert to character from hex and then convert the characters to the CCSID of your choice. Use iconv() to convert the CCSID.

Comment

I am trying to go from a 128 hex field to a 64 character field. I assume I would only need part of the code you offered (see below)? What I don't understand is how the fields: szCharVal, szHexVal, nSrcLen and len, inCharVal, ouCharVal, inHexVal, ouHexVal relate to each other? What field would I plug in the 128 hex field and what field would return the 64 character field? THank you.
                            Code

Comment

Did you ask this same question on my rpgiv.com/forum recently? Anyway, the way the two built-in work is as follows: cvtch converts to character from hex. cvthc converts to hex from character. The first parameter of both built-ins is the target. Therefore, parm 1 is the resulting character value in cvtch, and is the resulting hex value in in cvthc. The second parm is obviously the opposite value. The third parameter is ALWAYS the length of the hex data. That is the number of hex "values" or symbols (two for each character being converted) being converted.

Comment

Working...
                              X