iSockets: The Cool, New, Free Way to Do Web Services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iSockets: The Cool, New, Free Way to Do Web Services

** This thread discusses the article: iSockets: The Cool, New, Free Way to Do Web Services **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: iSockets: The Cool, New, Free Way to Do Web Services **

** This thread discusses the article: iSockets: The Cool, New, Free Way to Do Web Services **
    It's good to see new procs like this for RPG! As you pointed out, this kind of stuff is rather foreign to most OS/400 programmers. Easy to use procs are clearly important. Programmers in the Unix/Linux world have had the functionality for years, and it's time RPG programmers had the same advantages. Just to show the kinds of things Linux programmers are used to, below is a command line session demonstrating the use of Python's urllib. It's a simple example of retrieving a web resource. The function call urllib.urlopen() opens the web resource, and returns a file-like object, which can be read like a file. The method readlines() returns the data of the web page as a list of records. Bob, if you need inspiration for your iSockets, perhaps you should look at the functionality provided by Python's Internet Protocols and Support. Cheers! Hans
    Code

Comment

Isn't there already free award winning socket stuff available at: http://www.scottklement.com/rpg/socktut/ Isn't your code an example of the "Not Invented Here" syndrome?

Comment

Scott's web site is a tutorial describing how to do socket programming using RPG. I believe what Bob is providing is a library of procedures to simplify the process for RPG programmers without having to know all the nitty gritty details. Others have indeed written such libraries, but as far as I know, Bob's is the first free library. It may well be a case of NIH, but IMO, Bob is to be commended on his efforts. Cheers! Hans

Comment

robberendt, If that were the case, how many of my prior works contributed to the products, articles, tools and so forth used throughout the market. In fact, my stuff has been used for so long and that people have forgotten where it came from. Many even think it is part of the base OS. Why create iSeriesNetwork when "Q38 Technical Journal" was around? Why create yet another newsletter when there is already one out there? As Hans has pointed out Scott won an award for his website and contribution to the iSeries community. Scott's HTTP tutorial did not win an award. Scott's HTTP API is a good place to go to see all the bits and pieces involved in Sockets programming, but it is not a concise tool that does one specific thing, easily. Using your logic, why write FireFox or Opera when Internet Explorer is already there? Because different people have different perspectives on things, there are different needs and different ways of providing things to the community.

Comment

Bob, Thanks for the article and the code. This will make it easy to get started with this.

Comment

Hello, Thank you by interesting article, but I have a problem for get library isockets because both Web Sites it's down, Any can send me the library for try. Thank you Julio pinellij@argentina.com

Comment

Most of the companies I do services with require SSL. Is there any plans to incorporate the ability to use secure communications?

Comment

Bob, could this product be used for socket communications between multiple iSeries systems? I have no need for communicating with web services at this point, but a simple interface to handle socket communications between boxes or between the iseries and some of my Windows apps would be great Thanks, Brian

Comment

Here is a simple Java version. Pass something like http://www.mypage.com and you are done. You can put in any url including the ones that invokes Webservices or any url string. once you have the server response, you can do whatever with it. By the way with a little bit of imagination you can take the response and put it anywhere on the AS/400. You can even call it from RPG. If you are using this from the As/400 make sure you substitute the url with correct IP address as AS/400 does not know where the webserver is for example http;//localhost/mypage.html would be http://10.10.10.10/mypage.html. As long as you know the address of your webserver fire away this program and you will get the response back from the webserver. I would not use this with Webservices, there are better ways to deal with webservives. This is good to invoke webpages that invoke further logic. You get too many HTML tags and stuff back from the Web Server. enjoy.. Malik t_malik@bellsouth.net
                    Code

Comment

Absolutely useless code. At least you got your name in print!

Comment

You will understand the code when you grow up. In the meantime seek help.

Comment

Working...
                        X