Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Meet a Powerhouse BIF: %replace!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Meet a Powerhouse BIF: %replace!

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Meet a Powerhouse BIF: %replace! **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Meet a Powerhouse BIF: %replace!0

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Meet a Powerhouse BIF: %replace! **
    Hi, Just read the tip and I think a small error has occured... %subst(Answer:3:4) = %subst(Field2:3:4); will give ANSWER = ' XWVU ' and Answer = %replace(Field2:Field1:3:4); will give a result of ANSWER = 'abZYXWVUTSRghi' To get result Answer= 'abXWVUghi' is should look something like this Answer = %replace(%subst(Field2:3:4):Field1:3:4) I ran it through the debugger, so I really hope I am right... All the best - Jan

Comment

Did you catch the Answer = Field1; before the %subst(Answer:3:4) = %subst(Field2:3:4); ?? I think the article is correct. However, I think you are correct, or at least close, with the %replace example. Jim is placing Field2 into 4 positions of Field1 starting at position 3. Answer would then be 'abZYXWghi'. I believe your solution would result in the desired Answer. You could even simplify it a little: Answer = %replace(%subst(Field2:3:4):Field1:3);

Comment

Glasses on - I can see clearly now.... All the best - Jan

Comment

BIF %replace revisited by Jim It seems that the more I work with this BIF, the more I find. In my recent technical tip on %replace, I erred in my first example. Here it is again: D Field1 S 9 Inz('abcdefghi') D Field2 S 9 Inz('ZYXWVUTSR') D Answer S 14 /free Answer = %replace(Field2:Field1:3:4); I said that Answer would be 'abXWVUghi', which is incorrect. Thanks to the sharp eye of JLA (and others), I now realize that the correct answer is 'abZYXWVUTSRghi'. I fell into the "trap" that would have the starting position (parm 3) and length (parm 4) affecting both the from-string and the to-string. It does not. Here's the story: Parm 3 (starting position) and parm 4 (length) affect the to-string first. These two parameters tell the BIF where in the to-string to start removing characters and then how many to remove. After the removal process has completed, the BIF inserts the entire from-string (which may be a sub-string) at the parm 3 location in the to-string. Parm 4 does not condition how many characters to insert. This BIF "replaces" in the sense that it can remove characters and then can insert other characters. In summary then, the %replace BIF has the capability to do the following: 1. Delete characters from a character string (parm 2) only. 2. Insert characters from a character string (parm 1) into a character string (parm 2) without any deletion of characters. 3. Delete characters at a specified location (parm 3) for a specified length (parm 4) in a character string (parm 2) and then insert all of a character string (parm 1) at the same location (parm 3). Back to my example: The correct way to use %replace to get the desired string is the following: /free Answer = %replace(%subst(Field2:3:4):Field1:3:4); // Answer is 'abXWVUghi' Another possible use for %replace is to emulate the MOVE op-code, where the receiving field is longer than the sending field and padding is not desired. Since MOVE is not available in free format, the use of %replace could be useful. Here's an example: D Field1 S 6 Inz('ABCDEF') D TwoChar S 2 Inz('XY') /free Field1 = %replace(TwoChar:Field1%len(Field1)- %len(TwoChar) + 1); // Field1 now 'ABCDXY' It's cumbersome, but it gets the job done. With careful use, %replace can be very helpful with your character manipulation needs.

Comment

Working...
          X