Tech Tip: Make Your RPG CGI Programs Perform Better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech Tip: Make Your RPG CGI Programs Perform Better

** This thread discusses the article: Tech Tip: Make Your RPG CGI Programs Perform Better **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Tech Tip: Make Your RPG CGI Programs Perform Better0

** This thread discusses the article: Tech Tip: Make Your RPG CGI Programs Perform Better **
    Do I understand right, each program (REQ001) has a serving program (SRV000), and also has a stop program (STP001). Do you launch the serving programs in the morning so they'll be waiting for requests, and then run the stop programs at night?

Comment

Hi, Sorry for not replying faster. In this example SRV000 only performs one task but the idea was to start SRV000 as a never-ending-program and then you could make it server many differen tasks. An other appoach was that you could create serveal "SRVxxx" programs and have them look at the INBOX dataqueue. And because INBOX is keyed the different "SRVxxx" programs will only access the entries which are meant for them. Hope this expalins enought, otherwise please write again. And yes the SRVxxx programs have to run as batch programs in for example QUSRNOMAX or QSYSNOMAX. Kind regards - Jan

Comment

Just to add to Jan's reply, the dataque server starting and stopping normally would be based on subsystem being active, which if brought down every night would be stop it at night, but more accurately stop it when subsystem brought down, restart it when subsystem brought up. The stop program just makes a data queue entry like any of the CGI programs but server code to handle that entry is turn on *INLR and return, which is often implemented in return with *INLR off programs unless a call is made with a parm value that program handles by turning on *INLR before returning. I haven't used the keyed data queue technique, I had usually thought more of a data queue per server job, but this is a good option I will check into. Thanks, Jan. rd

Comment

Ralph, We uses the same model in our shop in combination wiht MQ Series and we run it in QSYSNOMAX (I know IBM recommend QUSRNOMAX) - and we never stop the server programs unless, as you point out the subsystem are taken down. You can then start them which way you want, we use "Advanced Job Scheduler for iSeries" (great product by the way) to handle all our backups, start and stop and so on and I must say it runs like a charm. One more thing about the server programs - they should be very stable and tested for all kind of funny things, because as soon as they are down you'll have users calling form everywhere because nothing are served back to their webbrowsers. One funny thing to do on fridays are to batch debug the server programs and waiting for something to happen... (just kidding!) - Jan

Comment

Great stuff. Thanks Jan. Ralph

Comment

Working...
            X