Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expand Your Database with UDFs

** This thread discusses the article: Expand Your Database with UDFs **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Expand Your Database with UDFs0

Re:Expand Your Database with UDFs

** This thread discusses the article: Expand Your Database with UDFs **
    Hi, Charles Very good questions :-) I'm not sure where it might be documented (ah the advantages of knowing the developers personally lol), but as I understand it the DETERMINISTIC/NOT DETERMINISTIC characteristic is tied to the execution of the UDF. So a UDF can return different results for a given set of inputs when run at different times even with DETERMINISTIC. But the UDF must return the same results for a given set of inputs within an execution/invocation. If we were to utilize the UDF within a SELECT returning a set, rather than a view, the distinction might be clearer (but then I would have been talking about SQL rather than views utilized by RPG and Query -- which is what I really wanted to discuss in the article). As for your other points, I agree with you. I certainly could have implemented the UDF using a function within a *SRVPGM, utilized FINAL CALL, no LR, etc and in "real life" most likely would have. In this case my intent was to cover as much as I could in one article and that meant keeping it simple (perhaps too simple in view of your very good suggestions). As the editors here can attest, I have a terrible tendency to go on and on with a given topic (turning one article into 4 or 6 being two current examples in RPG Developer and Tips and Techniques). In this case the objective was one article of a certain length. But maybe the editors will invite me back for a UDFs Part II, III, IV,... if there's enough interest :-) Thanks for your comments, and never hesitate to ask :-) Bruce

Comment

Working...
    X