Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picking the Right Partner for RPG

** This thread discusses the article: Picking the Right Partner for RPG **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Picking the Right Partner for RPG **

Re:Picking the Right Partner for RPG

Languages used within a development shop should be a conscious choice, not whatever an individual programmer selects based on his/her skill set. Development management needs to be open to the idea of 2 or 3 or 4 languages, probably depending on the number of developers, so that the correct language can be selected for each development project (or part of a project). An analogy might be: special toolsets used by plumbers, electricians, carpenters to build a house. The "builder's logic" might be similar, but skill sets and tool sets are selected to optimize the results. "We" in automated systems development should have been on board years and years ago. So it's about time to select the tool for the job, while keeping in mind future resources for maintenance and enhancements.

Comment

I am interested in learning more to allow the green-screen RPG programmers access to most of what I am developing using WDSc and the tables and views created using RUNSQLSTM and other tools. Since the RPG programmers are used to indexes, I will be using SQL Statements to create indexes they can use over the base data tables. Any warnings? --John

Comment

Languages used within a development shop should be a conscious choice, not whatever an individual programmer selects based on his/her skill set. What should be, and what is, are often two different things. Development management needs to be open to the idea of 2 or 3 or 4 languages, I dislike the imperative tone of this fragment. If there is "Development Management", they will determine their needs based mostly on budget. Those shops with a generous budget may have expanded horizons. The corollary is that shops with smaller budgets can barely see as far as the next request. Large shops may have more specialization within their staff. As budgets get tighter, there are fewer people to do the same number of tasks. Remaining individuals often wear multiple hats. My original statement concerned shops where programming diversification has proliferated to the point where finding a single individual to maintain all of the variegated systems is next to impossible. That point may be lost on hiring managers. Dave

Comment

Working...
        X