Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult?

** This thread discusses the article: Does Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Does Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult? **

Reoes Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult?

** This thread discusses the article: Does Source Maintenance Need to Be So Difficult? **
    And that was when we wore our hair long, stood taller on platform soles, earth shoes w/negative heel worn on business-casual days, and elephant-leg bell-bottoms way-way before MC Hammer descended on stage in his satin balloon legs outfit...Hoo-hoo :-) I have to lay down and take a nap now.

Comment

Source utilities...

Yeah, I wrote a utility to add color attributes to the source to make comments stand out in SEU: one color for commented-out code, another for program comments. We also wrote a utility to print source WITHOUT the commented-out code, for easier desk work.

Since our change management software (Implementer from MKS (nee Silvon)) allows archiving changed source, I tried to convince my workmates to just delete code instead of commenting it out, but too many of them felt trepidation about doing that, so the coloring and printing utility was the next best thing. (Of course, these were also the people who won't indent free-form rpg to save their lives...)

Of course RDi colors and indents the code nicely, but doesn't distinguish between comments and commented-out code. And while it is light-years ahead of SEU, I still pop in to SEU for the quick-and-simple changes...

Comment

Working...
      X