Practical RPG: Use Prototyping to Maximize Productivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practical RPG: Use Prototyping to Maximize Productivity

** This thread discusses the article: Practical RPG: Use Prototyping to Maximize Productivity **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Practical RPG: Use Prototyping to Maximize Productivity **

** This thread discusses the article: Practical RPG: Use Prototyping to Maximize Productivity **
    Yep. Been there done that. I am currently out of favor with this method fwiw. It looks good and seems a workable solution UNTIL your module has two dozen routines, and you need say, 8 prototypes for one application, and later you have 5 applications that need several of those prototypes. Then it becomes messy.

The C world does not do this, and they haven't done it since day one, so I have reverted back to the method. It tends to make your compiled objects larger, but the readability is higher.

Like other things, ymmv. This is just where I am at with this whole thing right now.

Comment

I understand. Once you get used to a good idea, like myself, I always start looking for a better way. But these DEFINE's answer at a glance what procedures the (MAIN) is calling, and as mentioned, what specifically got compiled into your (MAIN).

In fact my "Prototyped API's Module" which is compiled into a *SRVPGM, has about 5 or 6
      dozen procedures in the module, (Many are different prototypes calling the same external API.)

Which is why this approach toward compiling prototypes into your (MAIN), is an easy way to manage object size. And keeps your "where used" information down to relevant and actual use of any procedures.

Been there and you may want to go back there. Because...When would you ever NOT consider the size of the program objects you create...??? Maybe when disk space is an inifnite number?

Comment

When would I ever NOT consider?...: When the price of DASD falls to $100/terabyte---which is TODAY. You don't have to take my word for it, run your own tests. The extra space consumed by unused prototypes is negligible in terms of today's storage capacity and prices.

Like I said, ymmv.

Comment

Well lets just disagree. It's usually someone else who comes along behind such coders and cleans up all the "litter". Translate: Unnecessary or un-executed code.

Disclaimer: Unless the commented out, or un-necessary code is relevant to keeping a history of modifications. Otherwise it is just clutter. An ancient term for it might be a "standard". Which code in our shop must comply with...Yours? Wouldn't fly in my shop and wouldn't get on our machine old buddy...!!!

Comment

Let me get out here real quick and say "no offense" intended. My point being not to judge anyone by "our" standards.

But suffice it to say that if you don't follow some best-practice techniques, or some kind of standard in your shop, or just in your personal coding standards...Then you should consider that you may already be judged. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
            X