Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Implementing and Maintaining Your User Entry Point Table (UEPT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Implementing and Maintaining Your User Entry Point Table (UEPT)

** This thread discusses the article: Implementing and Maintaining Your User Entry Point Table (UEPT) **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Implementing and Maintaining Your User Entry Point Table (UEPT) **

Very nice article, with easy to follow samples. But I'm confused by these seemingly contradictory statements:

... the following ... will then cause a resolved system pointer to the user program to become invalid:
    * The user program is moved ... by using the Move Object (MOVOBJ) command.

... an object that has been ... moved to the QRPLOBJ library as the result of a create command ... has the system pointer pointing to it unchanged.

Do create commands move objects in a different way than MOVOBJ command?

Brian Johnson

A MOVOBJ operation does NOT change a program's virtual address

** This thread discusses the article: Implementing and Maintaining Your User Entry Point Table (UEPT) **
    Thank you so much Brian! You pointed out a mistake that I'd made in this article. The conclusion, "The MOVOBJ command changes a program's virtual address in SLS (and hence makes a revolved system pointer to it becomes invalid)." was based on some experiments I had made long ago. It seems that I had made some kind of mistake at that time. I have to apologize that I didn't double-check it when I put it into the article.

Via a simple experiment like the following, we can find out that a MOVOBJ operation does NOT change a program's virtual address.
    - DMPOBJ LIB_A/SOME_PGM *PGM
    - MOVOBJ LIB_A/SOME_PGM *PGM LIB_B
    - DMPOBJ LIB_B/SOME_PGM *PGM
    - Check the spooled files produced by the DMPOBJ commands and compare the "ADDRESS" values before and after the MOVOBJ operation. (They should be the same.)

Thank you again!

Junlei Li

Comment

Working...
    X