TechTip: A Review of SQL Multi-File Result Sets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: A Review of SQL Multi-File Result Sets

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: A Review of SQL Multi-File Result Sets **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: A Review of SQL Multi-File Result Sets **

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: A Review of SQL Multi-File Result Sets **
    I may be wrong, but I don't see the added value of INTERSECT or EXCEPT that cannot already be accomplished with RIGHT JOIN, LEFT JOIN, EXCEPTION, UNION (ALL). Can you elaborate?

Comment

JOINs are used for combining the *columns* from multiple sources into individual rows. UNIONs are used for combining the *rows* from multiple sources into a single view. It may be possible to duplicate the functionality of some UNIONs using JOINs, but the various types of UNIONs are a much cleaner/efficient route.

Comment

Aren't the 3 forms below equivalent? All things being equal (at least for this example) they all produce the same results. I'm curious as to when you would use one form over another. I generally use the second form because it segregates the join conditions from the selections in the "where". I've never seeb it done the first way, although it does make sense to me. Alway good to have alternatives though!
        Code

Comment

Thanks, best examples and straight foward instruction I have seen.

Comment

Working...
          X