Why Windows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Windows

bibarnes wrote: Function has taken a back seat to form and glitz over results. Sorry, , , , , , ,but that happenned a long time ago. Dave

Why Windows

If we only get one "wish" to put in the "dream-come-true" basket...Mine would be having i5/OS capable of running on[*]All hardware platforms, PC's, laptops, cell-phones, motor-cars, Bic-lighters, Pez-dispensers, and a perhaps a "lite" share-ware version to run on your Timex wrist-watch. "Premium" edition.

Comment

Why Windows

My experiences have been quite different from yours. I wrote a system for printing barcoded shop floor packets in Visual Foxpro over 10 years ago that is still in use today. We are using Borland's Paradox for DOS networking database that is over 15 years old. Granted we are looking for a replacement now. A vast majority of our users are still using Office 97 Pro, now approximately 10 years old. We are also running a number of copies of NT server 4, an operating system around 10 years old. I can move between Excel 97 and Excel 2003 with no problem. Seems to me your basic gripe is that Windows Vista caused incompatibilities with a number of other pieces. That's a given and shouldn't really have been a surprise. Bill

Comment

Why Windows

Were carved on stone tablets...But typo's were killing our budget. Overhead soared and we had to convert to papyrus. But we were able to sell most of our "didn't-compile" stone tablets to the Egyptians for major construction projects. Still generates revenue to this day. Wait until they find the time-capsule we buried under the right-paw of the Sphynx...I believe our "production" stone tablets were stored off-site there also. Hoo-hoo :-) I'll submit my apologies right with the post. I'm already on double-secret probation anyway...

Comment

Why Windows

>Windows programs that are a staple of modern business change look and feel with every new release, why? The answer is, "Because we can, that's why?" <<
          Actually, there are 2 reasons. 1. To take advantage of new technology and techniques. 2. Money. You buy or upgrade. For example, look what happened to early releases of OS/2. Forced to be backward compatable crippled the OS. Eventually it got to be a good OS, but marketing failed IBM (again). Also tried to run on hardware way too small to handle it properly.
          > any programs written before last month won't run on VISTA <<
          Not entirely true. Many of these run using a Windows "compatability mode" setting. (But, then, why would you need VISTA?)

Comment

Why Windows

Politics. It's the safest route. Because the herd has been grazing in the Windows lake for so long, and because it's now such a large herd, it's far safer to be amongst them.

Comment

Why Windows

The operating system in NOT SECURE! Example: Imagine any U.S. government database that stores highly sensitive material and/or Census, Military, IRS, ATF, or DEA files with your very own 9 digit Soc Sec number directly linking that data to you. Now...Would you be comfortable recommending Windows then...??? "Hey after all...everyone is using Windows." said the lemming to the herd of pigs. :-)

Comment

Why Windows

I don't know if anyone can answer this question. Why do large companies put so many eggs in the windows basket when windows are made of glass? I look back at programs I wrote 20+ years ago on a system 3 Mod 10 and they are still able to run on an i5. I can't make a PC program written 5 years ago work on the latest version of windows. Windows programs that are a staple of modern business change look and feel with every new release, why? The answer is, "Because we can, that's why?" The debacle of VISTA is a very good example of programmers run amok. It doesn't run on any PC built before last week and any programs written before last month won't run on VISTA. If you want to upgrade (that is another story) to VISTA you have to throw away the PC you bought for Christmas and buy a new one with 4 times the memory and twice the processor and 4 times the hard drive capacity. I remember trying to update (way back) from Windows 95 to Windows 98sp and wound up reformatting the hard drive and reloading every single program. Same thing happened with the upgrade to XP. It has never been an upgrade it's been a slash and burn replacement. I am no big fan of IBM and worked very hard years ago to avoid them. They persisted and no one could ever fault the stability of the operating system or the hardware. That stability is still there albeit they need a little forward thinking on web enabling. The thing is the system works and the software that we wrote 5 years ago is still doing the job and has been able to be updated using new concepts and techniques. We are still labeled as legacy and that is a four letter word. As legacy programmers we offer little to the business model and are left out of decisions on things that we have been programming for years. I don't know if Windows will ever grow up and become an adult. maybe that isn't what is important any more. Function has taken a back seat to form and glitz over results. OK I feel better now.

Comment

Why Windows

Reading in my history book there was a time that everyone thought the earth was flat. A good example of Windows not being a good idea is the latest iteration of Office. My company is moving everyone to laptops and docking stations. Office 2007 comes standard. I opened a spreadsheet and was dumbfounded by the complete change to the look of the sheet and it took me forever to figure out how to open a new window or to color some blocks of data. If I did that with a green screen program I would have users pounding on my door. Fortunately we are not looking towards new VISTAs.

Comment

Working...
                  X