No announcement yet.

Synon... or whatever you call it now...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Synon... or whatever you call it now...

its alive. Here's CA's starting point http://www3.ca.com/Solutions/Product.asp?ID=1631 and an active forum at: http://neo3.sba.com/forums/Conf_ThreadList.cfm?CFApp=82 &MarkForum=282&un=80kr Trevor:2E

It should be dead. SYNON and ASSET have the creed that what ever you can code in 10 lines they can do in 1000 and make it soooo complex that you have to stay with them until you retire or go crazy. (which ever comes first).

Comment

The advantage of SYNON, is that it gets everyone in a shop to program the exact same way! The disadvantages are many
        [*]There is no evidence that development goes any faster using a CASE tool.[*]The learning curve cancels out any perceived time savings.[*]You can not modify a program using "regular" techniques, and then modify it again using the CASE tool. Once a standard modification has been made, the CASE tool (usually) will not recognize it.[*]The number of permanent LFs generated can grind a system to a halt.[*]The invocation stack can be miles long.[*]etc.[/list]Dave

Comment

Stmt: There is no evidence that development goes any faster using a CASE tool. How long will it take a pgmr using traditional techniques, to create a file update program, displaying the file via a subfile? days? 2E can produce an error free version in under 2 hours. (design, gen, test) (My co-worker said he could do it in an hour) We work on an app. with over 1000 gen'd programs, running on 8 systems, each with 300+ users, new modifications quarterly, supported by THREE 2E developers. No program failures. How many pgmr's to support that size app. with a traditional coding shop? Q: The learning curve cancels out any perceived time savings. When I started using 2E I gen’d my first program on day 3. Learning RPG, it took much longer to get a program working; and it STILL has bugs in it. Every new environment has a learning curve. If we all balked at NEW technologies we'd be punching cards on 1401's. Q: You can not modify a program using "regular" techniques, and then modify it again using the CASE tool. Once a standard modification has been made, the CASE tool (usually) will not recognize it. Why would you want to do that? Apply that technique to the use of a change management tool and your investment in the tool as well as the advantages of controls over development are lost. If you invest in the tool USE IT. Don’t try and circumvent the tool. Q: The number of permanent LFs generated can grind a system to a halt. Building ANY application can do that. Its up to the designers/administrators to keep that in check. So what if it has lots of LF's? The iseries can handle it and it does. Q: The invocation stack can be miles long So what? Have you looked at ILE call stacks? They look longer than the OPM model. The advantage is apps. written with smaller modular components are quicker to build. I use both techniques: Case tools and line by line coding. Given the choice I'd choose the case tool. Trevor

Comment

After its inclusion into the world of Computer Associates, is the product dead or alive? Any one knows how much to purchase a license of this product?

Comment

Been there, done that, got the T-Shirt, and it didn't fit. I'll stay with standard techniques. BTW Interactive file update programs rarely take more than an hour or two. Even with subfiles. I do respect your opinion, and experience. I am not so condescending to think that what works best for me, will work best for everyone. I have a good amount of experience in a wide variety of circumstances, and base my own opinions upon empiricism. I stand by them in this instance. IMO efficient effective code may be better realized by not using CASE tools. Dave

Comment

Working...
            X