another cursor control within a subfile question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another cursor control within a subfile question

Hi Diana. The 5250 Emulation does not allow for this, as far as I know. The only way to protect a field is to, well, PRotect the field with an indicator, or perhaps some API. Your best bet is to teach the user(s) to quit being lazy and press the TAB key twice at the end of the line. On the other hand, if you want a programming "fix", then use the ROW keywords in DDS and allow a function key to popo-up a window to to enter the D & E data when requested by the user. -Mean 1

Diana, use DDS keyword SFLCSRPRG (Subfile cursor progrsssion) Regards, Carel Teijgeler

Comment

Unfortunately, this request is a directive from our CIO. And he won't take no for an answer. I guess he thinks it will increase productivity. I can't protect the field, because occasionally we have to use them. I honestly believe that if I am not able to do this, that he will think I am incompetent. In my 34/36 days (and 5250 terminals), we had what we called the elbow key. I suggested that we map the keyboards to emulate this function, but he nixed that idea too. Thanks for the tip on the ROW keyword. I don't know how to use this (yet), but I will definitely look into it.

Comment

It's my understanding that the SFLCSRPRG keyword, will take the cursor down to the same field on the next line in the subfile. I need it to take it down to the first field in the next line.

Comment

Set up a function key to protect/unprotect those rarely used fields. And print this thread and show it to the CIO. You can't easily do what he's asking with a 5250 interface. If you get desperate, define field C as CHECK(ER) which will return control to the program (like an ENTER) and manually position the cursor yourself to field A on the next line. That solution is more I/O demanding. I know with FLDCSRPRG, you can specify the next field (like a TABINDEX) with FLDCSRPRG(FIELD2). Not sure it that works with SFLCSRPRG. And these keywords may not work on all WS Controllers. Chris

Comment

Hi Chris, Diana. The FLDCSRPRG will not work with on a subfile record. The DDS will simply not compile. Since the 5250 Data Stream does not allow for event driven handling, unlike many PC apps, I do not see how you can get around this issue. Unfortunately, Diana is correct about the SFLCSRPRG taking you to the same field, next line. I tested this by placing the keyword on two side by side fields, with a third NOT having this keyword. The result was: Tabbing took me to all of the Column One fields, then went to the Column Two fields. Only when I tabbed at the last Column Two field, did the screen go to the same line, Column three. I have even checked my SUBFILES in RPG/IV handbook and see no method of doing this. -Mean 1

Comment

I hope he/she does not think you will be incompetent. Your question is a good one. If this is a new application, I would suggest removing the data entry from the subfile, and having it as one line on the subfile control (or a format above the subfile). Once the user presses enter, the entry is added to the subfile below. Have you tried the subfile drop (or is it fold?)

Comment

Hi David, Thanks for the kind words. This is not a new program. It's JDE's order entry program and modifying it is not a simple task. It already has a fold, but I can't put these fields in the fold, because they are populated by the program (if the operator leaves them blank) and the operator needs to see what is going in those fields (unit price, extended price, etc). Sometimes, the operator needs to override the price which is why these fields are input capable. Another glitch I just discovered, is that the FLDCSRPRG works beautifully for controlling the cursor movement in the subfile control record, so long as it is in emulator or "green screen" mode. But it does not work in GUI. And ALL our users use GUI. But I like your idea of putting the data entry in the subfile control, then adding it to the subfile. I could use the CHECK(ER)on the last field to force an "enter". My only question is, is there a way in RPG to know whether or not the operator actually pressed the enter key vs. exiting out of a field with the CHECK (ER) function. I need to know this because when the operator presses the enter key, she is ready to post the order, and start a new one.

Comment

Hi I checked through the archives and couldn't find an answer to my latest dilemna. Is there a keyword similar to the SFLCSRPRG keyword, that will postion the cursor at the first field in the next subfile record, instead of the same field? For example, each subfile record contains 5 fields: A, B, C, D, & E. Fields A, B, & C require an entry but D & E are optional. Most of the time, our operators do not enter data in fields D & E, but it does happen. Is there a way that I can make the cursor go to Field A in the next record, after the operator has exited out of field C? Then the few times they need to enter data in Fields D or E, they can just manually position the cursor to them. Thanks in advance. Diana

Comment

Diane, My only question is, is there a way in RPG to know whether or not the operator actually pressed the enter key vs. exiting out of a field with the CHECK (ER) function. Use the CHANGE DDS keyword on field C. Only accept the subfile when the CHANGE indicator is *OFF for ALL field C's in the subfile and ENTER was pressed (X'F1' in the AID byte - pos 369 in the WorkStn INFDS). Chris

Comment

Working...
                    X