Spool Files by FTP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spool Files by FTP

Mark Hajny wrote: > Can I get to my spool files using an FTP client? If so where are they > located, what path, etc? And if I can get to them, how can I identify > them as mine? I can't think of a way to naturally do it. You'd have to Quote a program which then utilizes various spool file API's to list the appropriate spool file entries, then possibly call the CpySplF command to create a text file. Bill

Spool Files by FTP

Thanks Bill. What I had in mind was writing an application from visual basic 6 where a user can see a list of his or her spool files, click on one, then choose to import it into excel, notepad, etc. I would write all the code for it so I can send it to all my remote users, it would have a small footprint, and last but not least, would not require me to install client access on every machine that has this. Do you think there is any way I can do this without using CA?

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

It's funny you mention that application because there was a sample VB application in a "Visual Basic for AS400 Programmers" book by Chris Peters that does just that. (I'm not sure of the exact title of the book but it has to be least 10 years old) I remember typing it in from the book when I was learning VB4 and modifying it to do lots of other things. If you look around at the downloads on the AS/400 sites you may find a copy.

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

Mark Hajny wrote: > Thanks Bill. What I had in mind was writing an application from > visual basic 6 where a user can see a list of his or her spool files, > click on one, then choose to import it into excel, notepad, etc. Same concept as the FTP answer. Write a program on the 400 that accepts, say, the user's name and then loads a file keyed by the user's name. Your program then reads this file and displays to the screen. They select which spool files they want, then you send parameters to another program on the 400 that copies the data to a file that you then read to create the text files on the local PC. Bill

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

As someone who has dealt in agonizing detail with *APF, *IPDS, and *USERASCII spool files, be careful which types of spool files you are going to let your users "export". If they are all *SCS types then the conversions are pretty straight forward. The other types are tricky and if you have external references in the *IPDS or *AFP then you will definitely have to use APIs to get the data to be exported. Just a little word of caution from someone who has been there. :-) Jeff

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

This article includes code that can you started with a CGI spooled file. http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/.6ae65eff

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

1 - There is a tool that can FTP spool files. You can customize it pretty well. See Brad Stone's www.bvstools.com/spltool.html 2 - Is your problem a SPLF distribution issue, for remote users ? If yes, instead of letting them FTP on the server in search of their SPLF, you could find other distribution solutions (there are plenty around us). AC

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

iSeries nav has a real neat feature that allows the user to display their spooled files and drag and drop to the desktop. Why re-invent the wheel? MP

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

Can I get to my spool files using an FTP client? If so where are they located, what path, etc? And if I can get to them, how can I identify them as mine?

Comment

Spool Files by FTP

Because I want to write my own program where you can click on a report and automatically import it into Excel or other programs. I dont want to distribute Navigator to all my remote users and train on it. I also want the program to have a small footprint.

Comment

Working...
                    X