X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing IBMDA400 provider

Not listed where?

Installing IBMDA400 provider

Its not listed in the provider list with the others. When making a UDL file the list of providers does not include IBMDA400. As well it is not in the registry so I know I dont have it installed. I'm not sure why it didnt install with Client Access. "Client Access Driver 32 bit" did install however. thx

Comment

Did you install the Express Toolkit. I believe that's where the provider is located.

Comment

OK, I uninstalled V4R5M0 and installed V3xxxx. It had the IBMDA400 provider but did not correctly install it. So as I thought it might be, IBMDA400 is an old OLEDB provider. I don't mind having V4R5M0 with the latest SP, but what is the OLEDB provider with that package? How is it used with an ADO connection object? I have seen (Client Access Driver (32 bit)) provider used but for me it refused to return a recordset. Many examples are just not working for me. Any advice, suggestions, etc??? thx

Comment

I'm pretty sure its part the default installation of Client Access and Client Access Express. Certainly its on all our PC's without us having to do anything special.but I suppose your shop could have eliminated it in their setup files. On my PC there is a Selective Setup option within Client Access Express where you can see whats installed and change it if necessary. I believe IBMDA400 would be installed if "OLE DB Provider" within the Data Access section is checked. I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks Bill, But yes it was installed. I saw the OLEDB provider in the installation check list as checked. It was V4R5M0 Express with Toolkit, but the IBMDA400 did not get installed. I believe it should have been but have no idea why it wasnt. thx

Comment

Off hand it sounds like you have a problem somewhere else either in your code or in your AS400 configuration. There might for example be some job that needs to be running on the AS400 that isn't. I'm not clear on your question but you use an OLEDB provider simply by giving its name in the code as in the following code snippet. Dim AS400CN As New ADODB.Connection AS400CN.Open "provider=IBMDA400;data source=" & g_SystemName & ";" A useful thing to do is make sure that your visual basic code displays all the OLEDB errors as in the following code snippet. MsgBox Err.Number & " " & Err.Source & " " & Err.Description For Each errAny In DBEngine.Errors If errAny.Number <> Err.Number Then MsgBox errAny.Number & " " & errAny.Source & " " _ & ErrAny.Description End If Next

Comment

I am having a similar problem with the "IBMDA400." I have 20 pc's running Windows 2000, CA V4R5, all connect to the iSeries except for 1. My code: Set cnn = New ADODB.Connection,Set rst = New ADODB.Recordset, Const cnnstring = "Provider=IBMDA400;DataSource=QMMA400" cnn.Open cnnstring On this particular pc, I error out on the cnn.Open cnnstring. "Provider cannot be found." I have added components that I thought were missing from Client Access, but no luck. I have downloaded the MDAC 2.6 library from Microsoft, no luck. I'm ready to reformat this pc--is this going to extremes, or does anyone know of something else I can check? This VB code is exactly the same as it is on the other 19 pc's that work fine. Diane

Comment

Well guys, I wiped my system clean and rebuilt. We reinstalled all software in the relative order that they were made and released. I now have both IBMDA400 and SQL Server MDAC working correctly. I think there must have been some registry corruption somewhere that prevented it from working before. FYI. The quickest way to see if you have IBMDA400 installed (assuming you have ADO 2.6 or better), on your desktop right-click and make a new text document. Rename it to x.udl. Dbl-click on the file and the properties will show up. Goto the provider tab and look for IBMDA400 in the list. Thanks all.

Comment

I am having the same problem. I did a search for IBMDA400 on my NT machine that hosts the asp documents and it is not found. I just upgraded it to Client Express V5R1 latest service pack so it should be there. I am trying to follow Mike Faust's example of a ADO connection. The code should be right but it errors out saying provider error '8000ffff'. When I installed Express I put on the toolkit and every relevant option. What can be wrong? I am starting to consider less desirable solutions like automatic downloads to the PC. Thanks

Comment

The OLEDB Provider should show up in the Client Access setup program under Data Access. Also make sure you have the latest Client Access service pack and the latest version of MDAC from Mmicrosoft's web site (www.microsoft.com/data)

Comment

Hello, I'm having a similar problem to that which has been described by teh others in this opst. I created a VB program with an ADO connection to a CA V3R2. It works perfectly using either conn.Open "Driver={Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit)};" & _ "System=IFG001;" or conn.Open "Provider=IBMDA400;Data Source=IFG001;" Some of our machines have CA Express V4R4. With the first example I can run the program and login to the AS400 but when I try to retrieve a recordset: rst.Open "select * from tmschatd.aapct00", conn I receive the following error msg: Error -2147467259 Source Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers [IBM] [Client Access Express ODBC Driver (32-bit)] [DB2/400 SQL] PWS0007 - Operation result set not found. When I try to run my program on the CA Express machines using the second example I can login to the AS400 but when I try to retrieve the recordset the VB program crashes and gives me and illegal operation error. From your other posts I would think I need a service pak or MDAC update but I am not knowledgable about how to determine which is needed. For instance, if there is a 2.7 SP available do I have to install the previous SPs first? I'm not receiving any help from my corp office and need to get this project in place. Thank you for ANY assistance! Kathy

Comment

Usually with this type of error, the first thing to do is make sure that the service packs are up to date and that the latest MDAC is installed. MDAC releases are cumulative so you don't need to load 2.6 prior to loading 2.7.

Comment

I have Client Access Express installed but IBMDA400 is not listed. How can I get it? thx.

Comment

Installing the service pack worked like a charm! The only difference is that both conn.Open "Driver={Client Access ODBC Driver (32-bit)};" and conn.Open "Provider=IBMDA400;Data Source=IFG001;" work on CA but only teh provider referenced connection works on CA Express. I found the following article on this site that others reading this might want to read since it explained the ADO/CA version levels in an elementary way: JR. HOWARD F. ARNER "The ODBC and OLE DB Strategy Guide" 9/1/99 1:01am Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X