Data Transfer to the AS/400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Transfer to the AS/400

You can write to DB2/400 from VB by using either ODBC, or ADO. Aside from the connection string, the code is the same for any other DB. Dave

Depending on your requirements, you might use TFTP (trivial FTP). This allows the user to upload to one specific IFS directory without entering a user id and password. I'm not sure but your might be able to specify the directory as an AS/400 library such as /QSYS.LIB/UPLOAD.LIB . Shell out to DOS and type TFTP /? Chris

Comment

Is there any way to transfer data from the iSeries straight into excel. I require a user on the iSeries to type in a piece of CL that will perform the following 1) RUNQRY ( to produce data - file name changes every time) 2) ( transfer data to PC or server could be FTP or CPY) 3) Open excel (maybe runrmtcmd) Thanks George

Comment

George, especially for this purpose we have developed a native running solution "iExcelGen". Have a look at http://www.goering.de for more details. Best Regards Andreas Goering GOERING iSeries Solutions

Comment

I have been away from the AS/400 for awhile and doing other kinds of projects. I was asked by an old friend that is programming VB to transfer data from a standard feed text file via VB to an AS/400 data file. He was asking me how you make the connection to the DB dynamic (he has several users that need to load to the AS/400 at different location and hosts that will then transfer to a centeral system). What is the best way to make the connection as easy on the user as possible? Thanks Greg

Comment

There are a number of commercial tools out there that will write directly to the client PC from the 400 using the 5250 Client Access API. In addition, there are several free tools that will write to Comma Separated Values (CSV files) to the IFS. Most of these were written for a specific situation at an end-user's shop and don't work in the generic situations that you've described. My RPG ToolKit (www.rpgiv.com/toolkit) also has both an API and a CL command that allows you to copy any database file directly to the IFS as a CSV file. But you may already own something if you have the IBM or 3rd party 5250 emulators on your end-user's PC.

Comment

GEORGE WILLMOTT wrote: > Is there any way to transfer data from the iSeries straight into > excel. > I require a user on the iSeries to type in a piece of CL that will > perform the following 1) RUNQRY ( to produce data - file name > changes every time) 2) ( transfer data to PC or server could be FTP > or CPY) 3) Open excel (maybe runrmtcmd) George, There is a much easier way. Use the Microsoft Query optional install feature for your Office installation. This will allow you to create a Query Definition that will download data directly into your spreadsheet. This data can be updated at any time and you can even create parameterized queries. Bill

Comment

Working...
              X