X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CONNECTING TO AS/400 WITH VISUAL BASIC.NET

Which version is "This Version"? Dave

CONNECTING TO AS/400 WITH VISUAL BASIC.NET

I PURCHASED "Visual Basic.net Standard" (about $98); A member of Visual Studio.NET Ver 2003 Seems to be the only version available unless I purchase some version of the full Visual Studio Product. Also: We have an early ver of Visual Studio which will connect and display an AS/400 Connection in the Server Explorer BUT, nothing is displayed under TABLES. I only know how to connect using TOOLS / CONNECT TO DATABASE and then selecting a Provider.

Comment

You need a minimum of Visual Basic.net Professional. MS takes features out of the "standard" version. Dave

Comment

Dave: Do you mean Visual Studio.net Professional? I have not seen a standalone version of Visual Basic.net Professional.

Comment

I don't know if VB exists as a standalone. You may have to get the entire Visual Studio. Dave

Comment

ben6711 wrote: > I PURCHASED "Visual Basic.net Standard" (about $98); A member of > Visual Studio.NET Ver 2003 Yep, looking at the MSDN site, the Standard version is meant to only teach the language. > We have an early ver of Visual Studio which will connect and display > an AS/400 Connection in the Server Explorer BUT, nothing is displayed > under TABLES. > > I only know how to connect using TOOLS / CONNECT TO DATABASE and then > selecting a Provider. If I were you, I'd try to get the earlier version going, it shouldn't be that difficult to fix the problem. Bill

Comment

JUST INSTALLED VISUAL BASIC.NET BUT, CANNOT CONNECT TO THE AS/400 (TRIED FROM A WINDOWS FORM). GET MSG: "UNABLE TO CONNNECT TO DATABASE. IT IS ONLY POSSIBLE TO CONNECT TO SQL SERVER DESKTOP ENGINE DATABASES AND MICROSOFT ACCESS DATABASES WTIH THIS VERSION OF VISUAL STUDIO." HELP!

Comment

Bill, Can you connect to the /400? If so, PLEASE tell me all the GORY Details! Ben

Comment

ben6711 wrote: > Can you connect to the /400? It's a yes and no answer. No, not with VB6 (I haven't tried, actually), but I've connected many times via Visual Basic for Applications. I've always connected using ODBC connections, but you also have available an OLE/DB capability as well. Do you have Client Access or iSeries Access installed on the PC? Bill

Comment

Working...
                  X