Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJAX: The Java Killer?

** This thread discusses the article: AJAX: The Java Killer? **
    Dave, I learned AJAX by doing some Google searches. I can't imagine a thick book on just AJAX. You'll more likely find a book on Java servlets that contains a chapter or 2 on AJAX. Chris

Comment

I've read a lot of technical articles about AJAX, lately. This is the first one that was promotional from start to finish. A teaser for your next book, Bob? It did stir my thinking however about "the user interface", changing (again). I'm seeing a lot of AJAX implemented at a number of BIG public Web sites. So, I have to admit that the technology is gaining ground at a remarkable rate. Java applets were just about dead anyway. Interesting points from JIN and Joe about the implications for CGI.

Comment

Chris, stay tuned here on MC Press. In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be unveiling an architecture based on AJAX and JSP that will absolutely blow the doors off of everything out there. I'll introduce it in next week's Application Developer, and then I'll present the entire architecture the following week. You won't believe your eyes. BTW, the architecture will work with CGI languages, but the simplicity of the approach with JSP is so incredible that I can't imagine anyone not using it. The framework is literally less than 100 lines of code. I just finished testing it; you can create complex multi-paned applications in minutes. Joe

Comment

The sad thing is that the anti-Java sentiment obscures the fact that AJAX is an incredible option for integrating divergent server-side technologies! Depending on who you listen to, you might get the idea that AJAX doesn't work with JSP and servlets, or that somehow each call to a servlet requires a new JVM. Nothing could be further from the truth. In fact, I've decided to prove it. In my next two articles in MC Press I'll be showing a brand new architecture which takes advantage of the asynchronous nature of AJAX and the blinding speed of properly written JSPs to make what may be the most powerful workspace ever designed. And the beauty of it is that the technology is NOT Java-centric! It is browser-, platform- and server-independent. Keep your eyes peeled. The future is arriving... Joe

Comment

Sounds great Joe. I always look forward to your articles (and books). Chris

Comment

From our experience at BCD, we found since we introduced AJAX functionality in our web app development tool in September 2005, that interest and use of AJAX has soared. This is especially true of the 1,200+ sites using our ILE-RPG CGI version. I'm adding some additional content to this AJAX thread. I've included a couple of links that Duncan Kenzie, CTO of WebSmart wrote on AJAX that were published in MC Press that may add value to this discussion. Also a Webcast on AJAX and even further down are links to some AJAX samples that are on our site that you can browse: ==== Article one ============ Use AJAX for Bright and Shiny Web Apps - Duncan Kenzie Nov 10, 2005 AJAX is the hottest new technology to hit Web development in a long time. Well, it's not really new. The technology behind AJAX has been available for years now, but it has l... Duncan Kenzie "Use AJAX for Bright and Shiny Web Apps" 11/10/05 2:51pm ==== Article Two ============ Use AJAX for Bright and Shiny Web Apps, Part 2 - Duncan Kenzie Jan 8, 2006 In my previous article, I explained how AJAX is transforming Web applications by providing a much richer and more responsive user experience. We looked at how Google and other major players are effectively using AJAX to provide functionality and ease-of-use not previously found in Web applications.... http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/1@@.6b32b8e3 ==== AJAX Webcast ======= How You Can Use AJAX To Create More Powerful, Real-time Web Applications: http://www.bcdsoftware.com/webcasts.htm#ajax ==== AJAX Examples ============ Here is a link to a free code section on our site that has several sections showing you AJAX samples and code to view: See http://www.bcdsoftware.com/progenwebsmart.htm on left side see "Example Code" or directly in the interior page: http://esdi.excelsystems.com/esdiapps/exlist.pgm See examples numbered: 109, 103, 100 They show: Page at a Time with AJAX, Customer Lookup Using AJAX and Email Address Lookup Using AJAX. Hope this is helpful. Best regards, Eric F. Figura BCD

Comment

Once the AJAX features are complete it looks cool, I'll admit. But what a price to pay to get there! It takes forever to hack the simplest feature. Wait for the tools, frameworks, and design patterns to catch up. Unless you are an idle programmer working for a company that doesn't care about deliverables, you can't afford AJAX. It is too new, too raw. In the meantime, there are always plenty of Java libraries to learn that have a bigger payback for my employer.

Comment

How can AJAX be a Java Killer? It can't even be an applet killer because applets are long since dead. No one I know has used them for ages. The "Ajax: The Java Killer" title is flame bait. We bit.

Comment

Working...
                  X