Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AD Repackaging in V6R1

Re:AD Repackaging in V6R1

Agreed. If I were to show this article to the Windows programmers...they would be laughing for the rest of the year. This just gives another reason for shops to look at a Windows-based platform for running their business.

Comment

This will get pricey for companies with ILE ERP vendor application that are customized, OPM ERP vendor applications that are customized and use both the traditional 5250 toolset and the current WDSCi toolset. It will be interesting to see how they are going to establish the relationship between a specific OPM license (for example) with a developer on the system.

Comment

DFU is part of ADTS?!? I followed this topic in the discussion on Midrange.com until it degenerated, but I missed the fact that DFU is part of ADTS. We use DSPDTA a lot, probably 3/4 of our users have it on a menu.

Comment

UPDDTA and DSPDTA are available as part of the OS, so ADTS is *not* required to use that feature. The function of the UPDDTA command can suffice generally for any "one-off" type of work that might otherwise be done in DFU. There would be little cause to generate a full-blown DFU program for such work.

Comment

sumitra wrote:
            UPDDTA and DSPDTA are available as part of the OS, so ADTS is *not* required to use that feature. The function of the UPDDTA command can suffice generally for any "one-off" type of work that might otherwise be done in DFU. There would be little cause to generate a full-blown DFU program for such work.
            So "DFU" just includes CHGDTA and STRDFU?

Comment

I appreciate your frustration, but I'm absolutely not going to get into a mud-slinging match. As soon as words like "stupidity" get into the fray, I get out. But I do want to say one thing: nearly every issue (except possibly price) would go away if IBM used concurrent licensing rather than named licensing. If this is as important to you as you imply, I suggest you write directly to: George Farr, Todd Britton and Sam Palmisano. Explain why named licensing doesn't make sense for contractors, and how exactly IBM will lose your business if they don't change it. A group of us spent two days of our own time in Raleigh last month arguing these very points. And I was surprised at just how understanding the IBM folks were. Not everything you see written is yet cast in stone. Even if this is today's pricing model, things can change and it's up to the community to tell IBM why - and the more heard from the better. I don't know the future, but I can tell you one thing: an email to IBM has a lot more weight than a complaint in a forum. Joe

Comment

Joe: Fair enough. I was probably a tad over the top (OK, maybe way over the top) with my post, but it's extremely frustrating to see IBM make slow progress over the course of several years, then seemingly throw it away in one fell swoop. I know - I'm not telling you anything that you don't already know. Are the e-mail addresses for George Farr, Todd Britton and Sam Palmisano as simple as their.name@ibm.com? I'm more than willing to share my thoughts on this point with someone from IBM. How they treat their (so called) business partners is another issue (especially as compared with Microsoft), but we'll deal with that later. Jon J.

Comment

Jon, you can reach George Farr using farr@ca.ibm.com. I'm okay giving you that one, because he gives it out all the time . When you email him, ask him for Todd Britton's. I'd give it to you, but I've never found it online. To send Sam Palmisano a message (something I found surprisingly responsive) you can go here: https://www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/email-sjp.pl Joe

Comment

According to IBM at our meeting, UPDDTA is indeed part of ADTS. However, I have to say that the question did catch them off guard; I'm pretty sure nobody really thought that through. I think further clarification is needed. Joe

Comment

Well, I understand why IBM might think it's necessary to break up the tools into a "before" and "after" set in order to demarcate a sort of "end of line" point and "new set" point. I'm not sure about the pricing unless they think that they're going to maintain both toolsets forever. But that doesn't make sense either. So, hopefully, this pricing and structure is a work in progress. In any event, right now, I think it's sort of silly to have all these pricing changes for a platform that simply isn't on too many radars. It certainly doesn't encourage the community or new users to invest in either toolsets. In some perverse sense, I think that ADTS should be offered almost free on P05 platforms and then pricing should kick in after that; for that matter, maybe the RAD should be offered the same pricing. After all, it seems that the main purpose of all this fiddling is to encourage new users as well as current users. But maybe IBM figures they'll sell too many of them that way!

Comment

Although the STRDFU command object is shipped as part of i5/OS, some of its functions are not available without also having installed the LICPGM(57xxWDS) OPTION(21) which delivers library QPDA. This is what I believe is commonly referred to as ADTS, "Application Development Tool Set" versus the text in DSPSFWRSC which is "Tools - Application Development". The *CMD STRDFU is really nothing more than GO DFU; given a *MENU object named DFU actually existed. STRDFU is in my opinion, no more part of ADTS, than the GO QUERY is part of 57xxQU1. DFU, like Query/400 and many other features, are divided into "definition-time" and "run-time". You can create the objects on a system which has the definition-time feature installed (the Licensed Program Product), then use the created objects on any system which has the run-time installed; i.e. run them anywhere where that release of i5/OS [or later; typically] is installed. STRDFU has five options available: 1. Run a DFU program 2. Create a DFU program 3. Change a DFU program 4. Delete a DFU program 5. Update data using temporary program 1 = CHGDTA /* Available as i5/OS run-time; does not required QPDA */ 5 = UPDDTA /* Available as i5/OS run-time; does not required QPDA */ I do not have any systems with only the OS installed, so I can not verify, but I suspect that entering STRDFU on such a system will present only options 1 & 5. Another feature of ADTS is CRTDFUDSPF which is in QPDA, and its copy in QSYS, which also required the definition-time product to be installed. So UPDDTA, DSPDTA, as well as CHGDTA, are all available as part of i5/OS; ADTS is not required to use those functions. I believe this is counter to the claim that UPDDTA is shipped as part of ADTS. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X