Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i?

** This thread discusses the article: Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i? **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i? **

Re:Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i?

** This thread discusses the article: Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i? **
    I don't agree with your Sun comment. My observation is they are opening the System/i up to other development possibilities to compete with competition. What they need to do is include some training incentives. Let's face it companies today are not spending money on re-tooling resources. They lay-off, and re-hire vs train.

Comment

Re:Is IBM Making a Statement of Direction by Bundling the Zend Web Stack with IBM i?

Never seen a company putting so much effort on products it doesn't even own (PHP/JAVA/My SQL are only some examples). IMHO, a better way to have place the 400 in a competitive market, would have been to enhance what was already there (RPG/DDS/CLP and the 8/16bit +50 y/o TN5250 emulation) instead of pleasing "the none 400 crowd". Again, if you want to develop in PHP/JAVA/My SQL, go buy a SUN, if you want to develop in RPG/DDS/CLP, go buy a...hmmmm, what's the name again? I rest my case. No further comments.

Comment

Well you see there aren't anymore RPG/DDS/CL souls in the Guff. (Where souls are kept prior to birth.) No more are being born. (much less trained in our paradigm) For us, we can still do beautiful things in RPG...To many others...it's just cave drawings. IBM i is culling other shops over to say...Yeah we can run your code too. And about dumping and re-hiring those with the required skill sets...Most hiring managers put greater faith in those knowing the "package" purchased and modified or in-house altogether than the language or code that's behind it. See the need coming, get the skill. They would rather use someone they know. Most of you can pick up something new by putting the "sports" section down and applying that time elsewhere. No really.

Comment

Suffice it to say...IBM wants to put System i where they ain't.

Comment

We have Zend Core, and have been developing applications that access the ISeries DB2 database via WebSmart PHP. I am not familiar with Zend Framework. I do not see a big difference between downloading from Zend Core and IBM providing it. More convenient perhaps, and another way to market Zend PHP. Is not Zend owned by IBM? Maybe they see it as another way to make money via us all paying for support.

Comment

Working...
            X