No announcement yet.

Choosing a Web Language? Choose Wisely.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Web Language? Choose Wisely.

** This thread discusses the article: Choosing a Web Language? Choose Wisely. **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: Choosing a Web Language? Choose Wisely. **

@Joe

You started off talking about Web languages and then you seem to have gotten side-tracked into the area of application development for mobile devices -- starting from a broader subject, then getting lost in a very specific example of mobile platform development, specifically Google's Android. You lost me with that abrupt change in direction. Sort of feels like a bait and switch, if you know what I mean.

While we're on the subject, however, you asked whether we know anyone who codes in Objective-C. My answer is, Yes, indeed. I know several and I am one myself. Objective-C is an excellent language. After years and years of working in C++ and Java, Objective-C makes so much more sense for the tasks we expect those other languages to perform. But did you know that the object model for Java was originally based on Objective-C?

As for Cocoa/iOS development, don't knock it till you've tried it. And yes, it looks like Flash will not be a viable option for the iPod/iPhone/iPad, but that's a very good thing in my book. Flash is a buggy resource hog that is barely usable on a desktop -- but it is anathema to the needs of a mobile platform. Keep it off my portable devices, please.

Interesting article, anyways, even if it wasn't as the title advertised. I have enjoyed your other work.

--Bill Durham

** This thread discusses the article: Choosing a Web Language? Choose Wisely. **
    Hi, Bill! Sorry you felt it was a bait and switch. I did pretty clearly state my intentions: "In this article I won't be rehashing any of the old arguments. Instead, I want to present an argument based on an aspect of the Web language decision that you've probably never considered before." Seriously, I'm sure you've read any number of articles about PHP vs. Java (or whatever). Do you really need yet another one? Instead, I wanted to address a very practical issue: how many languages do you need to learn to write business applications? My point is that Java will allow you to do things that require several languages in a non-Java environment (plus I think Droids are very, very cool and I like the idea of extending my business applications to my phone.)

I'm glad you like Objective-C. Yes, it was a forerunner of Java, as was Smalltalk. Personally, I love Smalltalk but it is a niche language, and I already deal with one niche language. Given the number of Macs out there the term "niche" is inappropriate for Objective-C, but you do sort of prove my point: if you aren't programming an Apple product, you probably aren't using Objective-C.

Flash support is an absolute requirement for me; too many sites require it these days. If you don't like it, don't use it, but don't force me not to have it. To me, that's the Apple vs. Android issue in a nutshell: Apple dictates what you can and cannot do, while Android is an open environment. There's room for both (hey, I'm an IBM midrange guy - we've seen the extremes from the almost completely closed world of the S/3x to the incredible open i!).

Anyway, thanks for your input. Again, I'm sorry you didn't get the article you were expecting, but I hope you appreciate what I was trying to present.

Joe

Comment

Working...
    X