No announcement yet.

Moving from 10 characers password level 0 to 128 characters password level 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving from 10 characers password level 0 to 128 characters password level 2

Based on my experience, I believe that at QPWDLVL 0 all passwords are actually lower case.

when you move from password level 0 to 2, all users can login using their old password whether they type it in all lower case or all upper case. Mixed case will not work. When users change their password, what they type is what they get. So, you can change from level 0 to 2 without too much of a hassle with users.

Comment

Oh ... so nothing changes until they change the password after changing to level 2. Sweet. That's one less headache. Tnx!

Comment

You may want to verify this. When I attempted to move to long passwords, I had all kinds of problems. It seems that the passwords were actually entered in mixed case (some lower, some upper) depending on how the user entered it. The "old" password level just ignored the case. Some users found they had to use lower case, some uppercase, some mixed. This was a few years back - I can't say whether this has changed.

Comment

To quote my response to that very question from my request 03982,005: After QPWDLVL is changed from 0 to 2, the system will accept either an upper case or a lower case password for the older passwords. The next time the password is changed, the new password rules will be followed and the password will be case sensitive

Comment

Be wary of one issue that we had when changing from 0 to 2. One of our older pieces of purchased software which worked as a server side extraction agent for a PC based client would not work properly. The software had to be upgraded before we could change QPWDLVL from 0 to 2. You should check any installed software which requires the user to enter a password external to a 5250 session. Steve

Comment

I'm considering a change in password levels to more naturally emulate the Windows environment. I have 100 users whom never had to think about upper or lower case with their iSeries passwords. I'm wondering if there is an easy way to change their passwords for them to all lower case behind the scenes. I'm afraid that leaving them all upper case during conversion will only cause an administrative nightmare for me. I'm also interested in hearing some opinions on how to efficiently go from one level to another. I have my own opinions but don't want to hinder any dissenting opinions that might prove useful. Thanx in advance.

Comment

Communication and training is the key. We did go thru a long period of frustration and disabled passwords to emulate Windows passwords. Our rule was 1 upper-case 1 numeric and at least 8 characters long. If I were to do this again I would have prep'd our users ahead of time to reduce confusion and frustration levels. We also had a query tool from NGS that only accepted 10 character passwords and had to get a PTF from them to fix this.

Comment

Working...
                X