Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues **
    ** This thread discusses the Content article: TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues **

Re:TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues

** This thread discusses the article: TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues **
    Hi Donaldoz9, I agree with your way of thinking in that RPG needs to shake the antiquated image that it currently has. RPG has the capabilities to support modern day needs, but because of it's image, it may not be immediately considered. You hit the nail on the head, when you said that you appreciate the simplicity and the comments. I deliberately write the code in the minimalist bare-bones manner to emphasize the objective of the tip. This allows the widest audience acceptance without having prerequisite knowledge of free-formatting, prototypes, and all that. But, you did bring up an excellent point. In future tips, I will consider providing two versions of the code: one in this minimal format, and a second free formatted. This would also provide a dual purpose to express the objective and also show the benefits of free-formatting and prototypes. The stability, capabilities, and support of IBM servers is unsurpassed, but the image is probably one of the biggest things that needs to be improved with the AS/400, iSeries, IBM i,... Thanks!

Comment

Re:TechTip: Qshell Provides an Alternative to IFS Data Transfers and Overcomes Authorization Issues

The arcana of the code didn't bother me, although I know that RPG/IV and RPG /free can show code that looks like the 'modern' and 'with it' stuff that Java and C# coders generate. That's just fashion stuff; the hem-lines are mid-thigh this year; no, wait, the hemlines are at the waist now... CRAP! What matters is code that a maintainer can read and then change -at need- with some confidence of predictable results. What bothered me was the hard-coding. The sink-folder URI could be extracted from a data area, or from the system profile record of the user. A source-folder URI might be excerpted from a data area in the application's data library.

Comment

Working...
      X