How secure is it to ftp *savf ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How secure is it to ftp *savf ???

How likely is it that someone could hack a V4R5 savf? Seems extremely remote to me but I don't think like a hacker! I'd like the opinion of others. THanks

Re:How secure is it to ftp *savf ???

I'm not sure what other system you would ftp a .savf too other than another AS400/i5/i system so I cannot imagine where a hacker could get to it or what back-office tool they would use to hack it and/or for what purpose other than to screw-up objects that were saved to it. Some companies distribute AS/i5/i system objects and application software via *savf that usually ends up being ftp'd to a host(usually from your PC) where these objects can be restored. I'm not aware of any PC application, back-office editor, or "hack" that can do anything with a .savf other than maybe un-intelligently corrupting it. Hacking in our world generally implies getting un-authorized access and having at least intermediate to expert OS knowledge...If you cannot restore from a *savf it may be the release the objects were created on and the release your OS is at. I'd say extremely remote possibility of a *savf be hacked.

Comment

How are you transmitting the *SAVF? If it is being sent over an unsecured pipe, it could be compromised (although I am not sure what the hacker could do with it).

Comment

How/where is the ftp session being run? Why use ftp at all? Why not send a savf directly from one AS/400(iWhatever) to another? (If you're generating changes on a home-office development system and then distributing these to other in-house systems, then TCP/IP or SNA links should already exist for daily data exchanges. If a savf is being sent to independent client sites, often better to write it to DVD(s) and mail it to the 'sysAdmin' for each site - that way they have recovery media for a progressive reload. That way store-and-forward Internet-server archives won't exist in unknown places...) If using media is impractical, permanent links can't exist, and you have reasons for paranoia, an openSSH scp session can be secure. Especially if an originating system is running some form of Unix or Linux - AS/400 can run Novell or Red Hat Linux as a guest OS. This real-security ambit is a subject for entire books. The remarks of others about the uselessness of an IBM midrange savf to crackers are apposite; the internal data structures and encodings of OS/400 are totally alien to the M$ world. So unless a savf contains financial-institution (banking...) or national-security files of interest to a government, the target is just too hard for those without access to very specialized and expensive talent and equipment.

Comment

Working...
        X