Article: Downsizing jobs, outsourcing lives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A wiser man than me once said that "All politics is local". Letting your own reps know how you, as a constituent, feel about a particular matter, really drives home the point. It is true that most people don't know who their reps are. But I have found that by contacting officials, and getting involved I will get some positive results. This might be on small levels like getting a pothole filled, or a stop sign installed. On a large national question, the results will be achieved only by numbers, and not dollar numbers either. The more that participate, the greater the chances of change. Everything begins with the initial impetus to remove one's butt from one's chair, and actually do something. An unpoplular stance may lead to some rejection at first, but perseverance pays off in the long run. BTW, I have had Canadian clients, and have been to Toronto on many ocassions for these clients. I have found Canadiens to be intelligent, politically astute, and involved. They have told me that it is absolutely false that the Atlantic provinces wanted Quebec to seceed because they thought it would take 45 minutes off their trip to Toronto! :-) Dave

Comment

I have not been able to find work since Oct 2001. The whole issue to this outsourcing is denying the American workforce the benefits and salaries we have worked hard to obtain. The government has been fully on the side of large corporations allowing them to do this in the name of money. Our government representatives are mostly millionaires so why should they care. I am going back on unemployment and since for the last 18 months I have have been working for $9.00 and $13.00 an hour instead of my $50,000+ annual salary I will be lucky to get unemployment compensation of $200 a week. Of course, federal taxes will be withheld. I would like to see some study or figures on just how much federal, state and local revenues are lost. If the government would tax the large corporations for this lost revenue due to outsourcing and off-shore operations then perhaps things may change. I have a seventeen year old son and a fifteen year old daughter and am anxiously awaiting my tax rebate of 400 dollars. My seventeen year old of course is excluded, apparently the government things he should be making a decent living now as a junior in high school. And I think I will buy a new $26,000 vehicle with my $400 just to help the economy. You know we can't lose consumer confidence or we will be in a depression.

Comment

RAThomas, I can sympathize, to a point. I too found myself out of work in November 2000. On top of that I'm in top I.T. management which has a lot fewer positions available than a P/A. Also, like you, I had two kids in high school and one in middle school. During my down time I found work as a independent consultant installing LAN equipment and working on PCs. My accountant gave me some work and the word spread from there. It was easy to find work at $75/hour. I considered doing this full time but my heart wasn't in that line of work. I was committed to making things work and was willing to relocate anywhere necessary to find a position. My wife supported me 100% and my kids knew it would be possible that they'd end their high school years in a different part of the country. I suspect that the idea of moving wasn't real attractive to my kids but I never heard a negative comment from them. They openly encouraged and supported me from the get go. While I was only out of work for 3 months I knew it could have been longer. And, not once during that time did I ever blame the government or foreign workers. I knew it was all about me and my flexibility and abilities. I know that my situation is different from you. But I also know that there are plenty of places to find work as a programmer if you really want to find them. In fact, I've hired 9 additional programmers since I've been at my current location in the last 2.5 years. Keep up the faith and look everywhere. Also, learn new skills. HTML programmers are in high demand right now. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "RAThomas" wrote in message news:6ae6ba8b.46@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | I have not been able to find work since Oct 2001. The whole issue to this outsourcing is denying the American workforce the benefits and salaries we have worked hard to obtain. The government has been fully on the side of large corporations allowing them to do this in the name of money. Our government representatives are mostly millionaires so why should they care. I am going back on unemployment and since for the last 18 months I have have been working for $9.00 and $13.00 an hour instead of my $50,000+ annual salary I will be lucky to get unemployment compensation of $200 a week. Of course, federal taxes will be withheld. I would like to see some study or figures on just how much federal, state and local revenues are lost. If the government would tax the large corporations for this lost revenue due to outsourcing and off-shore operations then perhaps things may change. I have a seventeen year old son and a fifteen year old daughter and am anxiously awaiting my tax rebate of 400 dollars. My seventeen year old of course is excluded, apparently the government things he should be making a decent living now as a junior in high school. And I think I will buy a new $26,000 vehicle with my $400 just to help the economy. You know we can't lose consumer confidence or we will be in a depression.

Comment

Rick, I can't tell precisely where to find the studies, but http://thomas.loc.gov is a very good place to start. You might be interested to know that several states (New Jersey is one of them) have their own legislation either passed or pending concerning the use of foreign outsourcing. Federal studies have commenced as a backlash to existing conditions. One republican congressman from Florida has a bill in committee that will put rational restrictions on the L-1 visa. I know it doesn't help much to know that you are not the only one, but there are things you can do. See if there are any local user groups where contacts may be made. You might also want to consider broadening your search. If all else fails, another line of work should be at least considered. The SBA, and other organizations offer free assistance in helping people to start their own businesses. Having other options is never a bad thing. Dave

Comment

FYI - I see a job ad on dice.com looking for an IT Director in the Dallas area. Primary focus will be to bring in-house the IT department that was outsourced. Hummmmmm very interesting.

Comment

And so it begins...

Comment

Whoa. The ad was there and said it was first posted on 1/6/04. Now it is gone. Maybe it will be back or maybe the job is filled. Anyway, it was not specific if they outsourced within the US or not. I am hoping this is a new trend.

Comment

... The American economy will be employing fewer engineers, accountants, information technology workers, stock analysts, radiologists, architects and research and development scientists – all highly trained top earners who ought to form the backbone of a vigorous and vibrant economy. And I'm talking the lock, stock and barrel loss of careers, not a temporary shortage of jobs. ... http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=32789

Comment

I just had a thought--how about if we send the L1's and Bush and a few others up the moon and on to Mars????

Comment

Working...
                    X