Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Make Yourself HEARD! Time Magazine looking for stories.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make Yourself HEARD! Time Magazine looking for stories.

Joe, thanks for posting this. I didn't have a story about a person loosing their job, but Laura said she had not heard the story about the lady in India blackmailing a US hospital with medical records. She responded quickly, and even though my e-mail was rather lengthy she obviously read it completely, and then tracked down the story I sent her. So, for others reading this, please send her your stories/comments. Everyone of us has the responsibility to speak out (at the right time and place) and this is definitely a time and place to make a bigger impact than just the messages we post here on the forum.

Time Magazine should go to Indiana. See Search400 article "Hiring limits of non-U.S. workers have limited impact". Sorry to add more negative comments to the discussion, but I thought the article was interesting. Dave

Comment

The outsourcing problem is hitting the bigtime, folks. Not only will you see a ton of articles in online forums like this one, but the major news outlets are picking up the stories. If you've been outsourced, let your voice be heard: "My name is Laura Karmatz and I am a researcher at Time Magazine. I am helping to research a story on Americans who've lost their jobs to Indian workers. At this point, I am specifically focusing on victims of outsourcing only- not victims of H1B, L1 or other types of nonimmigrant visas. I am looking to interview someone who would be fine having their name and experience in print in a Time Magazine article. Please contact me at laura_karmatz@timeinc.com if you are interested in being interviewed. Laura" I know the stories are out there - I've heard them in my email. Now is the chance to let the rest of the world hear your story. Joe

Comment

My pleasure, Daniel. When I saw this message over at JavaRanch, I thought it was appropriate to bring it back here. I believe there is a serious disconnect between the Java community and our community. In Java, there is no such thing as having ten years of expertise and you can be an "expert" without any industry application knowledge, whereas in the midrange market, anybody claiming to be an expert had better have some pretty in-depth knowledge of the actual industry, as well as the RPG language. You can't just take a bunch of RPG tests and be an RPG expert, and that may be part of the issue. The biggest complaints I've heard are from Java programmers and right now, all you have to do is pass a few Sun certification tests and you can label yourself an expert. And thus the concept of so much IT "expertise" available offshore. I don't think companies really realize what they're losing when they lay off someone who has worked in their company for 5, 10, 15 or more years. Joe

Comment

Working...
        X