Exempt/ Non-exempt employees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exempt/ Non-exempt employees

Yes. This has been true for some time now. Most programmers, even at the bottom of the pay scale easily surpass the 6.5 multiplier here in the northeast. Dave

I didn't know this, but there is actually a specific provision in the law exempting computer programmers who make over $27.63 an hour. Man, talk about nasty. The lawmakers have had it in for IT professionals for some time now. Joe

Comment

Joe Pluta wrote: The lawmakers have had it in for IT professionals for some time now. I don't think the lawmakers gave it that much thought. There is a great deal of legislation that is actually written by lawyers of lobbyists, and placed into bills "as-is". While the legislative process is fascinating, it can also be distasteful. I started getting involved about 17 years ago when 1706 was passed on voice vote at 11:00 pm. I have learned a quite a few things, the most important is that there is much I don't know about getting the stroke. The process is difficult, but not impossible to break through. Be very wary. That saying about sausages holds true. Dave

Comment

The test here in So Cal seems to be around $45 per hour. Once over that a programmer can be considered exempt. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "David Abramowitz" wrote in message news:6ae7c4ec.0@WebX.WawyahGHajS... | Yes. This has been true for some time now. | | Most programmers, even at the bottom of the pay scale easily surpass the 6.5 multiplier here in the northeast. | | Dave

Comment

I don't know if that 27.63 is still valid or not. I've seen it, but there is also something about 6.5 times the federal minimum wage. I will find out soon I guess, because considering how my soon to be ex-employer is treating me, I believe I'm going to be consulting some legal help.

Comment

Does anyone know if this law distinguishes between salaried and hourly employees? Thanks

Comment

No it does not matter whether they call you salaried or hourly. You are not an exempt employee just because you are a computer programmer, but most companies are not reading the law correctly. If you do not supervise anyone and do not meet the annual salary cut off for exempt, you are not an exempt employee and are entitled to overtime pay. From my point of view, I would probably not make this an issue with most employers unless they start abusing the exempt status, which is what my current employer is doing. They are doing it with employees who are even classified as non-exempt and previously received OT pay. I guess they probably are really excited about George Bush's plan to try to get rid of OT for workers. I heard Congress did shoot that proposal in the foot a week or so ago--it's not dead yet, but is limping.

Comment

Has anyone ever heard this one before? According to the Fair Labor Standards Act it seems that a computer programmer has to earn 6.5 times the federal minimum wage to be considered exempt, unless you qualify as an exempt employee under the Executive or Administrative guidelines. No programming job I have had qualifies me as being an exempt employee, but I have always been told that I was exempt from OT pay. I never really checked it out until my current employer starting really abusing this by requiring work 6 days a week plus more than 8 hours every day.

Comment

I, like most employers, did not realize this. It just so happens that we are having a meeting tomorrow about workloads and it has leaked out that there may be some mandatory OT. I'm sure my employer is not aware of the law, so I am sure that I will not receive any OT pay (I am below the salary cutoff for exemption). Thanks for the info. We'll see how it goes...

Comment

Here in California programmers are a "hot spot" with the state labor board. They hover over programmers pretty closely. Any complaint from a programmer brings a swarm of state investigators. My HR department says not to make programmers salaried unless they are at the $45/hour level. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "EDIguru" wrote in message news:6ae7c4ec.6@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > No it does not matter whether they call you salaried or hourly. You are not an exempt employee just because you are a computer programmer, but most companies are not reading the law correctly. If you do not supervise anyone and do not meet the annual salary cut off for exempt, you are not an exempt employee and are entitled to overtime pay. > > From my point of view, I would probably not make this an issue with most employers unless they start abusing the exempt status, which is what my current employer is doing. They are doing it with employees who are even classified as non-exempt and previously received OT pay. I guess they probably are really excited about George Bush's plan to try to get rid of OT for workers. I heard Congress did shoot that proposal in the foot a week or so ago--it's not dead yet, but is limping.

Comment

Working...
                    X