Tired of H1B/L1 and Outsourcing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tired of H1B/L1 and Outsourcing?

All you need is a video camera Easier said than done. OTOH, I think you have a great idea. If you can get past the door in D.C. I wish you well. Dave

David, I have the latest video production gear to create a professional documentary. As far as getting politicians to watch it .... that's the goal but I agree that getting them to watch is not probable. However ... what if it's picked up by PBS or a similar media outlet? This has potential to educate people what's going on in America. Put a human face and voice behind all these unemployment numbers. It's not just programmers any more. Jim Quinlan http://www.TalkToTheCamera.com

Comment

Or rather because it's programmers now. Let's face it, when you read about textile workers in New England you feel bad but you don't lose sleep. I think your idea is one of the more imaginative responses to this problem. If I get some time away from all these projects I'm going to volunteer. My own answer again assuming I had all the time in the world would be to form a Jobs Party and run a presidential candidate as the Jobs President. He/She would not have a chance to win but they would be guaranteed a great deal of grass roots support and it would be the quickest way to make Washingtom sit up and take notice.

Comment

Yes, that's a good idea about a "Jobs" platform for candidates. After all, these problems are with both the democratic and republicans. The republicans have just outsourced their campaign solicitations to India. Hillary Clinton is a Lobbiest/spokesperson for Tata International(One of the largest Indian consulting companies plying their trade in America). Yes, we need a different platform. It would be great if we could spark the enthusiasm from the 60's and get half a million people to meet in Washington to discuss this. Unfortunately, people are very apathetic nowadays. They forward a few emails to friends about different issues and feel they have done something. Sorry, I didn't mean to get so carried away with this today. Must have been that second cup of coffee : ) Jim Quinlan http://www.TalkToTheCamera.com

Comment

Do you have a participating alternative to video? Dave

Comment

David, I didn't see your question earlier, I really don't have an alternative to video as that's my focus. But when it catches on, I will be looking for moderators for our online forum and possibly help organizing. Send me an email via the site if you're interested. Also, there's many groups out there that are doing their part to bring attention to the issue. RescueAmericanJobs.com is one good example and they sponsor a meetup in cities around the country. A meetup is happening this coming Thursday. I'm looking forward to it. There's a link on the rescueamericanjobs.com site. However for the video participation, it's not too difficult. Just a 15-30 second clip with your opinion or you can tell about a company in your area doing this or a person you know who was affected. Just use your first name, introduce yourself ... We won't use all the clips we receive but they will start randomly airing on the website in November. All we require is a release form is signed and accompany the tape. Jim Quinlan http://www.talktothecamera.com

Comment

Gee, I wonder if this works with L1 workers if your US based company buys a manufacturing facility in China (49% ownership is allowed I believe)--can they then send Chinese workers to their US operations on L1's? They already closed manufacturing in the US, but maintain corporate headquarters with sales and technical staff in the US. We already have a few Chinese in our office and ads they place on line for workers often say "Chinese is a plus"! If things continue to progress as they are, maybe even those jobs at McDonald's will be filled with foreign workers! Exactly what are American workers suppose to do? Just go away and die? Maybe we should move to China, learn Chinese, and then we could come to the US for jobs????????

Comment

The biggest problem with "L1" is the body shop that sets up a foreign corporate shell explicitly for the purpose of importing bodies to work in United States under L1. The congress men I have spoke to are afraid that any legislation that prohibits or restricts L1, will cause a backlash in other countries, that would prohibit Americans from travelling abroad for business purposes. Naturally, when you disect it, there is not much logic to this arguement except that many countries would love any excuse to screw the U.S. So in that regard the our legislators are correct. I have learned that when discussing L1, it is better to talk about reform, than elimination. Dave

Comment

David said: "Naturally, when you disect it, there is not much logic to this arguement except that many countries would love any excuse to screw the U.S. So in that regard the our legislators are correct." Of course, the U.S. does a fine job of screwing other countries, so it would be safe to say that the sentiment of the other countries is justified. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Can anyone else confirm this? H-1B Limited being lowered Chris

Comment

Chris, there's several senators that are trying to get an extension or block the limit going down to 65,000. However, the H1B limit isn't nearly as important as the massive L1 Loophole which basically says companies can transfer an unlimited number of employees from their home country to the United States if they have an office in the United States. The http://www.TalkToTheCamera.com project kicks off this Saturday October the 4th on the Gandy Causeway in St. Petersburg. There will be several different television and radio stations covering this event. Plus we have a congressional hopeful who is coming out to drum up support. He was replaced by a consulting company from India. They are now living in his town and he was forced to train them before being let go. Consider hosting a simple TalkToTheCamera.com event in your town. It's easy. Send us your video clips. This will be your chance for that 30 seconds of fame you always hear about.

Comment

Yes it's true, , , , ,but it doesn't matter much. What with L-1 loopholes lopping off labor, and foreign outsourcing taking up the rest the H1-B rollback is too little too late. Dave

Comment

Just wondering if anyone else heard that CBS news is running a story along these lines this evening on the news. It's about a programmer who is losing his job to workers from India and he has to train them on site in the US before they terminate his employment. At least there is some national attention.

Comment

"A Programmer" I hope that CBS points out that this scenario is common. There are many programmers in the same circumstances. I hope they also point out that under H1B provisions, this practice is illegal. Under L-1 the practice is actually legal since the foreign programmer is already an employee of the company. OTOH if the L-1 worker is actually a contractor from a body shop, then you get into gray areas. The practice may be legal, but becomes an abuse. Legistators argue that they can't eliminate L-1 because it would prevent employees of American companies from working abroad, but what is not said is that Maerican companies do not farm out American citizens to foreign corporations at 1/3rd the salary of foreign nationals. This is why reform is needed to adjust current L-1 legislation. I have discovered that elimination of L-1 is impossible. Reform may actually happen if enough individuals reach the appropriate parties. Dave

Comment

Which CBS news show? What time? Provide a link if you can. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X