Camcorders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camcorders

Joe, I've been through the myriad of camcorders over the past 20 years including one of those clunky units where the camera connected to a portable VHS recorder via a wire. Whew. I've had 8mm, VHS-C and now miniDV. Here's my advice for what it's worth. I would only buy miniDV for several reasons. One, it's a standard that is used across many manufacturers. Two, it records high quality digital that can be copied directly into your PC and directly edited by most of the editing software in digital format without any loss of quality. Digital8 is a hybrid that has limited manufacturers and will only be with us a short while plus it's a lower quality of video. I have a Canon ZR-40 which is about a year old. It's a nice camcorder that is easy on the batteries. It also shares the same batteries as my Canon G5 still camera. I can highly recommend the Canon line of ZR products but I don't think much of video cameras that have built-in digital still shot capability. The still shots are pretty weak compared to the G5. For editing software I use Pinnacle Studio 8 (www.pinnaclesys.com). It's a low cost product (as low as $49 some places) that packs a lot of punch. It's a little more complex than most of the other low end products but well worth learning the complexity. To make music videos I use Muvee (www.muvee.com) that automagically takes raw footage analyzes your video and music and somehow creates a great music video. Here's my method of video editing... Record original stuff on miniDV. Immediately write protect and log the contents into a spreadsheet. Never, ever use that tape again. File it away. When I edit the tape I write the finished product back to another miniDV tape. Then I create an Mpeg2 file and create a DVD all using Studio 8. Mpeg2 is a compressed format and should never be used for editing once the file is created. Uncompressing and recompress will cause artifacts to show up. Kinda like a Xerox of a Xerox. If I want to re-edit the file I use the original. MiniDV is the highest consumer video format available and the original tapes and recorded final tape copies should be in miniDV format. You will be very happy with the quality of footage made on miniDV. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joe Wells" wrote in message news:6ae7f7e8.-1@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > I am in the market for a new camcorder and am amazed at the number of choices. From what I have read, I am thinking that I want a Digital8 or a MiniDV and am leaning towards a Digital8 because I can use it (some models, anyway) to play my exisiting 8mm tapes. Has anyone purchased a camcorder lately? Any advice/comments? > > Thanks, > > Joe

Camcorders

Chuck, Thanks for the advice - this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I will investigate the Canon product line. A quick look at Circuit City show a ZR65 and ZR70 - both are reasonably priced. I suspect these have replaced the ZR40. Joe

Comment

Camcorders

Joe, See if they have any unbiased info for you here: http://www.consumersreports.org Dave

Comment

Camcorders

I am in the market for a new camcorder and am amazed at the number of choices. From what I have read, I am thinking that I want a Digital8 or a MiniDV and am leaning towards a Digital8 because I can use it (some models, anyway) to play my exisiting 8mm tapes. Has anyone purchased a camcorder lately? Any advice/comments? Thanks, Joe

Comment

Camcorders

David, Thanks for the tip. I have used Consumer Reports in the past, but it slipped my mind this time! Thanks, Joe

Comment

Working...
          X