Let's Keep Track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Keep Track

Joe, My client is in the process of paying triple (I do have the figures) for "cheaper" servers and software. To add to your comments, I would say that not only is there scalabiltiy concerns, but also software compatibility concerns. Many AS/400 and Iseries systems running today contain portions of S/36 code, or even older. No matter how many times IBM updates OS/400 with a new release, the software continues to run. . . . .WITHOUT EVEN RECOMPILING!!! Try to explain that to developers who just recently migrated from VB 6.0 to VB.NET. Going back further, you had issues with NT to XP, or 3.1 to Win/95, or SQL Server to Oracle or Sybase. Considering the lines of code involved, the costs must be staggering. OTOH if you just farm out the costs and write it off, who cares? Dave

Let's Keep Track

"Yes, IBM has pushed Websphere and Java as alternatives, but that is a long time loser strategy in my opinion." What is so difficult about JavaServer Pages? If all your web layer is is an interface to your back end processing, you can create web pages almost instantly using WDSC, and you're not locked into Microsoft. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

CDR9003 (whoever that is) wrote: I would expect IBM to change nothing and continue fantasizing about JAVA taking over the world. If I were you I wouldn't be taking any bets on that long term. IBM chose JAVA as a MS killer, due primarily to the portablity that allows applications to run anywhere. Yet you see no more "hamburger" ads since SUN refused to submit JAVA to ANSI for standardization. Without an industry standard, the use of JAVA has many pitfalls, and IBM knows it. It is interesting to note that IBM jumped on the Linux bandwagon only after the SUN refusal. There are many many many things IBM could do with OS/400 if only the faith and interest were there. Dave

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe said: "It's my - well, I think prediction is too strong a word, but perhaps my hunch - that we're going to see that some of these combinations of new technology, new methodology and cheap hardware won't quite scale as they might need to." Our e-commerce web site is deployed on Win 2k server using IIS and is developed entirely in .Net. The web server itself is on a 4-CPU Xenon server and currently handles 35,000 unique visitors per day. We've had no response problems due to the server. Where we have problems is bandwidth. Our 6mb pipe is too slow, so we're moving our web site off to SBC in the first quarter. Joe continued: "I was at a local chain retailer of sporting goods apparel, and their entire POS system was down. They were reduced to taking orders by hand with calculators, and they had to turn away credit card customers. It was looking pretty ugly." Sounds like they have an old system. Even our 18 year old POS based upon DOS 5 has redundancy in the stores. The new one we're putting in next quarter will have a mini-SQL Server on each and every register. There will be redundancy down to the register level, including dialup to the credit card company. Joe complained: "And just tonight I was about to buy a 19" LCD monitor for my mom, and the Dell site told me it was too busy to take my order." Well, Dell IS the busiest Internet retailer in the world. On a normal day they take in over $60 million on their web site. I expect that during the Christmas rush it's a lot more. Joe bragged: "Dell lost a hefty sale." Huh? My company buys over $1million per year from Dell and we're not considered a hefty customer. How much did that monitor of yours cost? Was it like the Diamond Vision at Dodger Stadium? Joe complained: "It's the week before Christmas, and you don't have enough horsepower for your online sales site? This strikes me as a pretty major flaw in your infrastructure." I suspect that if Dell ran their site with iSeries model 890s they'd still have trouble keeping up. It's almost impossible to anticipate traffic this time of year. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe, The difficulty with the iSeries is horsepower. Our model 820 when lightly loaded has reasonable response time from the Apache server when a dozen users hit the server. Give it a hundred users and response time is noticeably slow. Add an SQL query and response time is sluggish. Now, turn on Websphere Express and I can go to lunch between web pages. Our 820 is a $150k machine and well adapted to green screen but not at all adapted to serving up web pages. For about 1/3 the cost in hardware I can serve up over 35K users on a Wintel platform. Unfortunately, IBM keeps pushing Websphere and that, eventually, will be their undoing. At COMMON IBM told me flat out that I need about 1000 CPWs to fire up Websmart. Well, our $150k machine is only rated at 1100 CPW. Do you think I'll be using Websmart any time soon? Not a chance. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joe Pluta" wrote in message news:6ae8c09e.2@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > "Yes, IBM has pushed Websphere and Java as alternatives, but that is a long time loser strategy in my opinion." > > What is so difficult about JavaServer Pages? If all your web layer is is an interface to your back end processing, you can create web pages almost instantly using WDSC, and you're not locked into Microsoft. > > Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Hey Chuck? Thanks for your input. However, if you're unable to reduce the purposely inflammatory editorial comments, I won't bother responding any more. I know your natural behavior is to bait people, but despite that in recent weeks I've tried to be civil with you and the lack of civility in return is unacceptable to me. I was neither bragging nor complaining, simply stating facts. I realize an apology is too much to ask, but if you are unable to suppress your need for unnecessary impolite commentary, please don't expect any further replies. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

"Now, turn on Websphere Express and I can go to lunch between web pages." This is due entirely to a poorly written web application. With PSC/400, I can handle multiple users with subsecond response time using WebSphere Express on a little model 270. My website, www.plutabrothers.com, runs on that same little model 270 also using WebSphere Express. I may not get 35000 hits a day, but I also have none of the throughput problems you describe. I won't rehash the issues of writing for a dedicated processor like a Wintel box and a multi-purpose business machine like the iSeries, but I guarantee that somebody with decent architecture skills can write web applications for the iSeries that rival the throughput of any server farm, and for a comparable TCO. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe, Since you must be using the web browser to post the note below and you changed the title I'm not sure exactly what thread you're responding to. And, since you didn't post any of my original message in your reply it makes it very hard to understand the ambiguous message you posted below. However, I'll take a stab at it. I think you are replying to the message you stated basically (I'm paraphrasing) "the iSeries is wonderful and can do all, no other platform can measure up." My basic response was, "bunk, other platforms can perform many things just nicely. Speak rationally and we can have a good discussion." Here's a summary: You have had a great experience with Websphere Express, I've had a bad experience with it. I've talked to a lot of people, many at COMMON, and more of those that I talk to are in my camp than yours. Don't get me wrong the iSeries is a wonderful platform. It just can't do it all effectively. It's a tool, just like my power drill, not a religion. I always use the best tools whenever possible when making business decisions. I take the religious issues out. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joe Pluta" wrote in message news:6ae8c09e.7@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > Hey Chuck? Thanks for your input. However, if you're unable to reduce the purposely inflammatory editorial comments, I won't bother responding any more. I know your natural behavior is to bait people, but despite that in recent weeks I've tried to be civil with you and the lack of civility in return is unacceptable to me. I was neither bragging nor complaining, simply stating facts. I realize an apology is too much to ask, but if you are unable to suppress your need for unnecessary impolite commentary, please don't expect any further replies. > > Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

I agree, Chuck. The iSeries can't do everything, and it sometimes annoys me that IBM gives in and adds features to try to make it do ALL. The iSeries is a wonderful database machine. In my opinion, it has no equal. But why not let another platform provide the graphical front end? Let the Microsoft guys code that. The Intel platform is great at GUI. The iSeries is great at database and batch. Let's use it for what it's good at. (Boy, in another thread I decide you're not worth talking to anymore, and now, immediately afterwards, I'm agreeing with you.)

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Daniel stated: "The iSeries is a wonderful database machine. In my opinion, it has no equal." Agreed! We use the AS/400 as the one known "truth" when it comes to data within our company. Daniel stated: "But why not let another platform provide the graphical front end? Let the Microsoft guys code that. The Intel platform is great at GUI. The iSeries is great at database and batch. Let's use it for what it's good at." Actually, I believe GUI is wonderful for everything. We use WebSmart (by BCD) for new development internally. We host up web pages to our internal users as it's a great metaphor that requires less training and we can do things that are hard to do in a green screen environment. However, it's not something I'd give to 35,000 users per day. Our web developers use a .NET tool by HiT to access our AS/400 data directly and it works just fine for them. They get subsecond response time and can develop in a more natural environment. Also, it's a lot easier to find web developers that know .NET than know iSeries or Websphere. Daniel said: "(Boy, in another thread I decide you're not worth talking to anymore, and now, immediately afterwards, I'm agreeing with you.) " Life does have it's weird twists and turns, eh? chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Comment

Let's Keep Track

"very hard to understand the ambiguous message you posted below." Chuck, you used the phrases "Joe complained" and "Joe bragged". I objected to them as being uncivil, and said "I was neither bragging nor complaining, simply stating facts". If you couldn't take the time to reread your last three messages to find the reference, then I no longer have the time to reply to you. I really tried, Chuck. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Joe stated: "If you couldn't take the time to reread your last three messages to find the reference" I think you misunderstood me. I use a newsgroup reader to read/reply to messages on this forum. By default when I reply to a message it includes the original "subject" and entire original message/thread in the reply. I parse down the original message to make it easer to read. When I use the newsreader to read messages in a given forum by default it shows none of the previous posts, only new ones. When you post a message using web browser on the MC site the browser program that MC uses doesn't copy the "subject" nor does it copy any of the original message. (Shame on them.) So, if you change the subject and don't post any of the previous message then the message is ambiguous and doesn't belong to a thread. It just sits there on it's own and makes no contextual sense. So, telling me to go reread the previous messages isn't the answer since your message is all by it's lonesome. That's what I meant by an ambiguous message. You changed the topic to "Let's keep track" and I wasn't sure if you were referring to "terrorists" or "iSeries" topics. chuck Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer. "Joe Pluta" wrote in message news:6ae8c09e.12@WebX.WawyahGHajS... > "very hard to understand the ambiguous message you posted below." > > Chuck, you used the phrases "Joe complained" and "Joe bragged". I objected to them as being uncivil, and said "I was neither bragging nor complaining, simply stating facts". If you couldn't take the time to reread your last three messages to find the reference, then I no longer have the time to reply to you. > > I really tried, Chuck. > > Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

It's the holidays...relax. This is beginning to look like a "Chat Room' instead of a Forum to share information and ideas. I'm all for..."Agree to Disagree". Happy Holidays to all!

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Merry Christmas, Kim! We dropped the conversation two days ago. It's cool. Joe

Comment

Let's Keep Track

Cool. I've always enjoyed reading yours and David's postings...until today. You have a nice holiday. Oh, and by the way....I'm pasionate about these system too.

Comment

Working...
                              X